ICC-ITC-WTO MSME Group Small Business Champions Competition 2022
Deadline: August 15, 2022
Applications are invited for the ICC-ITC-WTO MSME Group Small Business Champions Competition 2022. The World Trade Organization (WTO) Micro, Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Informal Working Group (MSME Group), in partnership with the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Trade Centre (ITC), is calling for proposals that help small businesses to transition to more sustainable business practices and contribute to global decarbonization.
Businesses, industry associations, chambers of commerce and non-governmental organizations are invited to submit proposals. This annual competition provides an opportunity for businesses, industry associations, chambers of commerce and non-governmental organizations to propose innovative, practical ways of helping small businesses play a more active role in world trade.
Although MSMEs account for the majority of global businesses, they make up a relatively small share of international trade. Lack of resources and access to relevant information are among the barriers that restrict MSME participation in world trade. Helping MSMEs to trade internationally can increase business productivity and competitiveness as well as support inclusivity.
2022: Helping small businesses transition to a sustainable economy
The aim of the 2022 competition is to find ways of helping small businesses reduce their carbon footprint and benefit from sustainability innovations. As the urgency to address climate change increases, innovation by businesses of all sizes will be critical to achieve UN sustainability targets. Domestic and international supply chains represent an estimated 90 per cent of corporate emissions according to the World Economic Forum, with small businesses contributing to this.
- Winning submissions will be highlighted by the ICC, ITC and WTO MSME Group through their communication channels and receive recognition during Building Bridges, to be held in Geneva on 3-6 October 2022. Winners will also receive a certificate.
- Proposals can focus on awareness-raising campaigns, competitions, capacity building, training and mentoring programmes.
- Proposals should have a target completion date of within one year from initiation.
- Proposals should be designed to be delivered by the entity making the proposal and should not focus on WTO negotiations, or proposed changes to WTO rules.
- The ICC, ITC and the WTO MSME Group will use their networks to support and promote successful proposals.
Proposals are open to the businesses, industry associations, chambers of commerce and nongovernmental organizations and should:
- detail the concept, aims, timelines and other information as appropriate.
- be no longer than three pages.
- be sent to [email protected] in Word or PDF format by August 15, 2022