A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards 2022 for Scholars
Deadline: October 31, 2022
The STAR Scholars Network is now accepting nominations for the A. Noam Chomsky Global Connections Awards 2022. The Global Connections Awards recognize “STAR Scholars” for their achievements and distinctive contributions to transnational research that demonstrates the very best of scholarship and/or collaboration among scholars around the world.
The STAR Scholars Network is committed to promoting transnational research and collaboration between scholars in different countries (e.g., joint publications and research partnerships) that impacts humanity positively beyond national borders.
In December 2022, the STAR Scholars Network will provide awards in four categories:
- North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement: This is the STAR Scholars Network’s premier acknowledgment of outstanding achievement and success in transnational research. The medal honors a senior scholar whose lifelong service, leadership and contributions serve as a guiding “North Star” for scholarly work and research collaboration. Shining Star Research Award. Each year, the STAR Scholars Network celebrates up to two (2) exemplary works in translingual and/or transnational research.
- Shining Star Research Award: This Award recognizes influential scholarly contributions in any discipline and language. Submissions could include multimedia scholarship in the form of podcasts, TED Talks, documentaries, mini (e.g., You Tube) videos, publicly accessible Sound Cloud files, as well as scholarly journal articles, books, book chapters, and other forms of scholarship.
- Rising Star Emerging Scholar Award: Each year, the STAR Scholars Network recognizes up to two (2) emerging scholars who have shown significant promise and commitment to transnational research. One award will recognize an emerging scholar (post-terminal degree completion) in any field that has distinguished herself/himself/themself as a rising leader in transnational research. The other award will recognize a current graduate student who has demonstrated significant promise as regards advancing transnational research through publications, leadership, or other relevant contributions.
- Star Humanitarian Award: A new award, established in 2021, recognizes humanitarian efforts in creating equity and/or scholarly balance. Applicants could be organizations (e.g., institutions of higher education and NGOs) that have had a profound global equity-oriented impact and/or a humanitarian whose work is fundamental to equity, transnational connectivity, and/or scholarship. The STAR Scholars Network will recognize an organization or individual that is both a humanitarian and an innovator. The recipient’s work must demonstrate potential for global reach and impact (i.e., it must be aimed at equity and collaboration).
Eligibility requirements for North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement:
- Candidates must demonstrate a history of educational leadership that spans a minimum of 15 years, as evidenced by their teaching, research, service, and mentorship.
- Candidates must have an extensive record of publications that exemplify a long-standing commitment to fostering transnational research connections among scholars around the world.
- Candidates must have a scholarly record that has had a visible impact in creating a more humane world.
Eligibility requirements for Shining Star Achievement in Research Award:
- The scholarly work must have been created, been “published” and/or made available after July in the year preceding recognition. (Note: For the 2022 cycle, only publications or scholarly contributions dated July 2021 or after will be considered).
- The award recognizes the creators, primary author(s), editor(s) and/or related primary contributor(s).
- Any scholarly piece or work that is not in English must be accompanied by an audio or typed translation in English to ensure that committee members can be involved in the award selection process and can confer with experts in the language of submission, as needed.
Eligibility requirements for Rising Star Emerging Scholar Certificate:
- Non-student candidates must have completed their terminal degree no more than five years prior to consideration.
- Candidates must have demonstrated scholarly promise and a commitment to transnational research, as evidenced by their teaching, research, service, and/or mentorship.
Eligibility requirements for Star Humanitarian Award in Global Health:
- The applicant’s work must have transnational impact.
- The work must have potential to benefit humanity in multiple regions of the globe.
- All award recipients will be required to be members of the STAR Scholars Network by the time the awards are given at the 2022 annual conference.
- Nominations could be from any discipline and in any language. In the case of a non-written language, audio nominations could be submitted via Whatsapp at 443.422.5923 and/or via email at [email protected], alongside an English translation
- Please note that self-nominations will not be considered.
STAR Scholars Network members and others are invited to submit e-nominations in any language. Complete the Online application on the website of the STAR Scholars Network or send an email titled “Nomination for STAR Award” to the awards Committee Chair, Dr. Anita Pandey at [email protected] Only complete applications will be considered.
All nominations must include the following:
- Nominator information (i.e., name, email, phone number, title, and affiliation)
- Candidate(s) information (i.e., name or title, email, phone number, and/or affiliation)
- The award category
- A brief bio of the nominee (< 150 words, to be used in promotional material if selected)
- A brief description (< 500 words) of the candidate’s contribution to transnational research and why they should receive the specific Global Connections Award
- Nominations may include up to five attachments. Suggested attachments include, for example: the nominee’s CV/curriculum vitae, letters of nomination, an example of the candidate’s scholarly contributions, or any other supporting documentation that demonstrates a commitment to transnational research.
- Nominations for the North Star Medal of Lifetime Achievement must include a statement highlighting the candidate’s career and contribution to transnational research.
- Nominations for the Shining Star Achievement in Research must include a PDF or image of the noted achievement in transnational research.
- Nominations for the Star Humanitarian Award must include a statement (< under 250 words) describing the candidate’s contribution to combating COVID-19 globally or in multiple regions of the globe.
For more information, visit STAR Scholars.