Call for Application: UN Women Regional Civil Society Advisory Group (RCSAG) for Eastern and Southern Africa
Deadline: October 21, 2022
Are you an institution focusing on gender equality, women’s rights, and women’s empowerment in the East and Southern Africa region? The UN Women Regional Office is looking for organizations and groups to drive dialogue & engagement on gender equality, to support consultations between UN Women and civil society and help inform UN Women’s priorities and strategies in the region.
Membership will be drawn from institutions working in the region. This is a voluntary role, with a term of 2 years. Institutions (NGOs, Community Based Organizations, Networks, research institutions etc.) with a proven track record working on diverse gender equality, women’s rights and empowerment areas are encouraged to apply for consideration for the 12 member Advisory Group.
The goals of the CSAG are:
- To foster strategic dialogue and engagement, with a view of addressing the root causes of gender inequalities and advance goals of gender equality and women’s empowerment.
- To provide a forum to enable mutually beneficial consultations between UN Women and civil society and draw upon the rich and diverse expertise, experience, outreach and networks, perspective and knowledge that civil society can offer on a timely and effective basis.
- To serve as a consultative forum to agree on regional priorities and develop joint strategies to inform UN women’s programmes.
The role and function of the Regional CSAG are to provide:
- A dual role of being advisor but also advocate on key strategic areas for intervention that will address existing gender inequalities and develop agreed frameworks for engagement and support to inform the work of UN Women at regional level.
- Inputs to UN Women during the formulation of key strategic documents e.g. the regional Strategic Note, regional programmes and in identification of priority thematic areas for the region.
- Provide feedback on UN Women’s work including how to streamline e.g. through participation at annual retreats and having a dialogue with respective Country Representatives.
- Insights on the political, social, economic and cultural developments and trends for consideration in UN Women’s engagement in the region.
- Perspectives on regional scenarios and contribute to positions on key issues including for intergovernmental processes.
- Strategic advice on an advocacy agenda to promote Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment in the region.
- Contributions to the strengthening of UN Women’s engagement with civil society at regional and national levels.
- Support as necessary to UN Women’s partnership with civil society, in relevant intergovernmental processes and fora.
- Serving in the advisory group is on a voluntary basis. UN Women will cover expenses related to travel by members to Regional-CSAG meetings.
- Nominated Institutions will nominate a qualified focal person to the Regional CSAG.
- At least 5 years of working experience in civil society, in gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment.
- Regional experience in advocating for and promoting gender equality, development and or human rights.
- Thematic expertise in women’s economic empowerment, leadership or violence against women or any thematic priority for UN Women in the region.
- Knowledge and understanding of gender issues in the region.
- Experience in engendering policy and legislation frameworks
- Strong analytical capacity.
- No active engagement in politics to safeguard neutrality of the UN.
- UN Women will circulate the call for nomination including through existing regional and national gender equality, women’s rights and women’s empowerment networks/coalitions, organizations and movements.
- The nominations should include the following: Name of organization and contact details of the organization and contact details of the nominee; a short profile of and description (less than one page) on why the organization would be a suitable candidate for the CSAG.
For more information, visit UN Women RCSAG.