Teachers CAN Fellowship 2023 for South Africa
Deadline: December 15, 2022
Applications are invited for the Teachers CAN Fellowship 2023. Teachers CAN recognises the steep learning curve and intensity of the first years of teaching.
Added to limited peer support and connection opportunities, the under-valuing of teachers’ voices in the broader eco-system and limited scope to influence the day to day running of classrooms and we are running the risk of more and more young teachers leaving the profession. To counter this, Teachers CAN seeks to foster new ways for teachers to see themselves as well as their role in the education system, developing their individual as well as collective identities as change agents within the system.
The annual Teachers CAN fellowship focuses on 25 young teachers, based anywhere in South Africa, and who are between the ages of 23 and 35.
The one-year programme will have the following components:
- Immersions – three workshops taking place during the March, June and September holidays. The immersions will take place in a hybrid format with a combination of in-person and online engagements.
- Peer learning – this is an opportunity for fellows to grow in their profession through sharing experiences and collaborating towards achieving better outcomes.
- Network building – fellows will have an opportunity to engage with the wider network through various platforms where they can put in to practise their learning and further embed their identity as key role players in the eco-system.
All the components of the fellowship are aimed at helping young teachers develop a common identity rooted in professionalism, creativity and disruption of the status quo. The fellowship seeks to provide fellows with a stimulating and nurturing environment rooted in the belief that each one of them has the potential to make a difference in the education system. Whilst the duration of the Teachers CAN fellowship has been designed as a one-year programme, alumni will remain key anchors of the Teachers CAN network.
- Between the ages of 23 – 35;
- Must hold a teaching qualification ( for example a 4-year B.Ed. degree/PGCE);
- Currently teaching in a South African school;
- Between 2 – 5 years teaching experience;
- Proven potential to become a change agent;
- Demonstrated desire to bring positive change in the South African schooling system.
A Teachers CAN fellow has the ability to work collaboratively within a diverse group and respect the views and opinions of others; they are life-long learners who are passionate about growing in their profession and they are committed to playing an influential role in the broader eco-system.
The application will close on December 15, 2022 at midnight.
For more information, visit Teachers CAN Fellowship.