Deadline: August 15, 2023
Applications are open for the INGSA-LAC Annual Essay Competition on Scientific Advice 2023. INGSA LAC invites scientists, academics, professionals, and policymakers residing in Latin America and the Caribbean to participate in this year’s edition of the Annual Essay Competition on Governmental Scientific Advice.
The objective of this competition is to encourage the submission of essays that reflect on how scientific advice can contribute to the design of public policies (executive, legislative, and regulatory mechanisms) that national and local governments can adopt to promote the protection and restoration of nature, as agreed upon in the Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF) of Kunming-Montreal 2022, which involved the participation of 196 countries.
Authors are expected to consider the scientific evidence informing the state of biodiversity at the time of formulating and implementing public policies at the local or national level that contribute to achieving the objectives of the agreement in their respective countries. Essays can provide a general overview of the GBF or focus on specific objectives or targets within its framework.
- Three prizes will be awarded, with the first prize receiving USD $300, and the second and third prizes USD $200 each.
- Additionally, special mentions will be given to outstanding essays as determined by the evaluation committee.
- Open to scientists, academics, professionals, and policy makers residing in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Submissions can be in English, Portuguese, or Spanish.
- Word limit should be 1,500 – 2,000 words.
- It is important to note that essays must be original and unpublished, and participants warrant that the submitted works are their own and do not infringe upon any intellectual property rights of third parties.
To participate, interested individuals must submit their proposals to the email address, [email protected], before August 15, 2023. Essays should have a word count of 1,500 to 2,000 and can be written in English, Portuguese, or Spanish. The best essays will be invited to participate in the annual workshop organized by INGSA LAC.
For more information, visit INGSA-LAC Annual Essay Competition.