Deadline: August 12, 2023
Applications for the SHAPE-SEA Essay Writing Competition 2023 are open. The Essay Writing Competition shall serve as a vehicle for Southeast Asian students to raise their voice on diverse issues and lived experiences reflecting the state of the environment and human rights in the region.
Moreover, essays are expected to delve deep into intersectional issues impacting the environment at either regional or local levels. Furthermore, they strongly encourage writers to creatively come up with concrete recommendations for policy and action to address climate emergencies/injustices in ASEAN. Essays writers are urged to fully exercise critical thinking and creative expression.
- How do you envision a safe, clean, and sustainable environment?
- What issues and lived experiences are (directly or indirectly) caused/impacted by climate injustice/environmental degradation at the regional, national, or local levels?
- How can ASEAN and its member states be able to fulfill its commitment to a safe, clean, and sustainable environment in all corners of the region?
- What can ASEAN Intergovernmental Commission on Human Rights (AICHR), as well as other ASEAN bodies, do more to facilitate this process?
- Experts’ Choice First Prize: Cash Prize of THB 15,000, a Certificate of Recognition, and an opportunity to present their winning essay at a regional event this year.
- Experts’ Choice Second Prize: Cash Prize of THB 10,000, a Certificate of Recognition, and an opportunity to present their winning essay at a regional event this year.
- Experts’ Choice Third Prize: Cash prize of THB 7,000, a Certificate of Recognition, and an opportunity to present their winning essay at a regional event this year.
- Most Popular Vote: Cash prize of THB 7,000, a Certificate of Recognition, and an opportunity to present their winning essay at a regional event this year.
- Shortlisted essays will be given a Certificate of Appreciation and will be published on the SHAPE-SEA Website.
- Open to Southeast Asian undergraduate students;
- Applicants should be currently enrolled in a Southeast Asia tertiary academic institution.
- Analytical papers are written in English within a maximum of 500-700 words (excluding title, references, and notes).
- Essays should be original and should not have been previously published elsewhere.
- Essays must be written only by one person. Font style and size: Times New Roman, 12 points, 1.5 spacing In-text citations and references must be in APA (seventh edition) format.
- Essays should be submitted in MS Word (.doc/.docx).
- Participants have to accomplish an online form and submit their essays here.
- One person can only submit one entry.
- Submissions are deemed final. Revised versions will not be accepted.
For more information, visit SHAPE-SEA.