Deadline: August 20, 2023
Applications are open for the IWMF Kari Howard Fund for Narrative Journalism 2023. Kari Howard loved stories that left readers feeling as though they had just met a new friend. Writers fortunate enough to work with her as their editor found themselves challenged to weave the music of everyday life and the passion of extraordinary love into the fabric of stories illuminating the most important issues of the day.
Kari’s family and friends, together with the International Women’s Media Foundation, are honored to offer grants to support the narrative journalism she championed.
- Grants will be for a maximum of $5,000.
- This opportunity is open to women and nonbinary journalists.
- Applicants may be freelance or staff print journalists and may apply individually or as part of a multi-format team.
- Professional journalism must be the applicant’s primary profession.
- Applicants must have three (3) or more years of professional journalism experience. Internships do not count as professional experience.
- Applicants must be able to show proof of interest from an editor or have a proven track record of publication in prominent media outlets.
- Applicants must apply and publish in English.
- Any multi-format reporting must supplement a printed project.
- Note that stories can be published digitally and not necessarily in a newspaper or magazine.
Applications will close on August 20, 2023, at 11:59 pm EST. Applicants will receive a decision on their applications by mid-October.
For more information, visit IWMF Kari Howard Fund.