Deadline: August 25, 2023
Applications for the SYP Photo Story Competition 2023 are now open. Sustainable Mekong Research Network (SUMERNET) and SUMERNET Young Professionals (SYP) invite young professionals of all genders under the age of 35 who are from the Mekong Region to participate in this photo story competition on the theme of “Water Security for All”.
Photographs can be a powerful means of conveying narratives and evoking emotions. Through this competition, SUMERNET is offering young professionals the opportunity to showcase their photography skills and understanding of environmental issues.
The theme of “Water Security for All” aims to:
- Raise awareness of individuals, groups, and communities of the relationship between water ecosystems and the various local and community efforts and practices in using and conserving water ecosystems.
- Emphasize collaboration and networking in the Mekong Region through shared reflections and perspectives on the challenges of water insecurity.
- Demonstrate the transboundary nature and use of water in the Mekong Region.
- First Prize: US $400
- Second Prize: US $300
- Third Prize: US $200
- Two Honorary Prizes: US $100 each
All winners will receive a certification of acknowledgment. Furthermore, award-winning photos will be published on the SUMERNET website and across their communication channels, giving participants valuable exposure and recognition for their creative work.
Applicants should be:
- A young professional of any gender, from any profession or background, and under the age of 35 at the time of applying.
- A citizen of one of the following countries: Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Thailand, Vietnam, and China.
- Applicants can be an individual or a group.
- Make sure you or members of your team are eligible to apply.
- Each photo submitted must contain a title.
- Your entry should consist of three or more photographs (maximum ten photos) and a text caption of not more than 100 words per photo.
- All original photos that have not yet been edited must be uploaded into the application for reference.
- Your photo must be high-resolution in JPEG, PNG, or TIFF images (minimum resolution of 2480 by 3508 pixels (21 cm x 29.7 cm). Name each file with your name and a number (e.g., Somchai Dech_1).
- Only photos taken on a camera device are accepted (do not submit any AI-generated photos).
- The photos should be taken after 2020 (January 1st, 2020 – present).
Entries should address the theme of “Water Security for All” and aim at conveying one or more of the three points in the theme description above.
The competition will evaluate entries based on the following criteria:
- Relevance to the theme (30%)
- Caption coherence (30%)
- Aesthetic (20%)
- Originality (20%)
The deadline for submitting entries is August 25, 2023 (midnight ICT). To enter the competition, follow these steps to submit through the online system:
- Use the platform: Start creating stunning visual web content for free | Shorthand to create your photostory and provide the link in the application. Once you have created the submission, copy and paste the URL into your competition submission.
- As an option, you can choose to create your submission via Word or PowerPoint and upload the file. The maximum file size is 10MB per file. Rename the file with your name and your country (e.g., Somchai Dech_Laos).
Once your entry is ready, complete the application and submit your photo before the deadline.
For more information, visit SYP Photo Story Competition.