Deadline: November 1, 2023
Applications for the International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW) Poster Contest 2024 are now open. Each year, the International Compost Awareness Week Committee holds a poster contest to pick a new design for the annual poster. There is always a new theme for ICAW, which is highlighted on the poster as well as the dates for ICAW. The dates for 2024 are May 5 – 11, 2024.
The 2024 International Compost Awareness Week (ICAW) theme is truly a collaborative and international effort. Again this year, they teamed up with the International Compost Alliance (ICA), which includes compost associations from around the world, to select: COMPOST… Nature’s Climate Champion! The theme was chosen by participating international partners incorporating the collective focus on one of the initiatives of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDG), which is “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts.”
The 2024 theme best reflects the UN goal by highlighting the role compost plays in fighting climate change. Those roles include:
- Decreasing methane: Methane, a greenhouse gas twenty-five times as powerful as carbon dioxide, can be significantly reduced through the recycling of organics instead of their being landfilled.
- Helping with climate change mitigation: Compost offers a significant answer to climate change mitigation. Compost’s return to the soil serves as a “carbon bank,” helping to store carbon thereby removing it from the atmosphere.
- Reducing fertilizer inputs, reducing the pollution created to manufacture those inputs.
- Increasing resilience: Compost helps to increase resilience to the effects of climate change such as drought and extreme weather.
- The overall winner will receive a $500 prize.
- The poster contest is open to anyone from anywhere in the world;
- Applicant should be age 14 or older.
Entries will be eliminated if requirements are not followed exactly.
- Only One Entry Per Person
- Size is 12” wide X 18” vertical (this is in inches)
- Resolution is 300 dpi in jpg format
- Poster contains the theme name: COMPOST… Nature’s Climate Champion!
- Poster contains the words: International Compost Awareness Week
- Poster contains the date: May 5 – 11, 2024
- Do not add additional words to your poster. Only the theme and International Compost Awareness Week and May 5 – 11, 2024 are allowed. Any changes to those words or additions will automatically eliminate your entry.
- If you have a photograph as part of your poster, please confirm that either you took the photo or you have obtained legal rights to use the photo.
The competition will be judged on the following criteria (40 points maximum):
- Marketability of poster to multiple audiences – 10 points.
- Creative and original artwork and idea – 10 points.
- Attractiveness in terms of design and neatness of layout – 10 points.
- Overall Impact, all graphics are related to the topic and make it easier to understand the poster theme – 10 points.
For more information, visit ICAW Poster Contest.