Deadline: January 31, 2024
Applications are open for the Vienna BioCenter Summer School 2024. The Vienna Biocenter Summer School provides a unique opportunity for approximately 20 undergraduate students to work side by side with leading researchers in a dynamic scientific environment.
The programme aims to attract talented students from around the world, creating a vibrant and diverse atmosphere. It is the perfect preparation for those students who are interested in graduate study in the life sciences arena. The programme, starts on the last Friday in June and finishes on the last Friday of August (or 31 August) each year.
- Research Project: Each fellow will be allocated a faculty member, with whom they will work closely. The research project will focus on a current topic in the allocated lab. Supported by a member of the laboratory the scholar will be expected to perform experiments, analyse data, generate ideas, and discuss their results. In addition to practical laboratory work the scholar will also take part in lab meetings, journal clubs and other activities.
- Talents-for-Future Program: The ‘Talents-for-Future’ program is a special initiative of the Vienna BioCenter Summer School and will provide a research opportunity in biology to highly motivated and talented students, independent of their socio-economic background. They particularly encourage applications from talented students of underprivileged backgrounds, who would benefit the most from such an opportunity, which could be truly career-enabling.
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 Euros after tax for the nine-week programme
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
- Open to students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students, and have completed at least two years of university study in a Life Sciences related study (Molecular and cell biology, Chemistry etc.);
- 3-months research experience;
- Good academic record;
- High level of English language;
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible);
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies.
- The following studies will NOT be considered: Veterinary medicine, medical engineering, agriculture, pharmacy, zoology, food or nutrional science, and any other degrees that do not include lab training or are not related to molecular and cellular biology.
Interested students should complete the online application form. When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While they cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, the organisers will make their best efforts to do so. You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
For more information, visit Vienna BioCenter Summer School.