Communication Officer Job at Kofi Annan Foundation: Apply!
Deadline: January 2, 2013
The Kofi Annan Foundation is an independent non-profit foundation, legally incorporated in Switzerland in 2007 chaired by the former United Nations Secretary-General. The objectives of the Foundation are to support Mr. Annan in applying his unique experience and moral authority to help address global issues, to build and preserve peace through mediation and conflict prevention, and help to ensure that the benefits of globalization are equitably shared through poverty reduction, good governance, human rights and the rule of law.
Under guidance from the Executive Director and senior advisors of the Foundation, the Communications Officer will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Support the development and implementation of media and outreach strategies for the Foundation, engage key partners and constituencies, and be responsible for positioning the Foundation’s activities, projects and advocacy in the communications arena. This will include developing messaging, website content, and the production and dissemination of public information materials for all Foundation activities.
- Draft articles, speeches and talking points for the Chairman as required.
- Help track issues of key concern to the Foundation using a wide range of open source media.
- Advise and support the Foundation on public information issues, methods and approaches including use of new media and digital platforms.
- Be responsible for liaison with the media, including responding to enquiries, organizing media activities, and media monitoring.
- Support media appearances and interviews by the Chairman and Foundation staff, and serve as spokesperson for the Foundation.
- Be responsible for communications budgets and associated reporting requirements, including assessment of impact of communications strategy.
- Work with the Foundation’s communications service providers to ensure appropriate support in the implementation of the Foundation’s communications strategy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current affairs, particularly of political and global development issues.
- Solid understanding of the media and proven ability in news gathering, fact-checking, writing and editing to deadlines.
- Ability to produce and edit written communications in a clear and concise style.
- Ability to conceptualize and coordinate the production of multimedia materials.
- Discretion and sound judgment, and ability to prioritise activities and assignments.
- Ability to tailor language, tone, style and format to match audience.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communications, journalism, public relations or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of relevant working experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of eight years of progressively responsible experience in journalism, public information or related field is required.
- Previous experience writing in English in a deadline-driven newspaper or similar media outlet would be an asset.
- Experience in producing public information or advocacy materials for different audiences, and with an international or intergovernmental organisation is required.
- Ability to conceptualize and produce multimedia content for Internet-based platforms, including social media would be an advantage, as well as previous experience in providing communications support for fundraising purposes.
Excellent written and spoken English is required; good working knowledge of French an advantage.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with skills and experience. Remuneration is subject to Swiss social charges and taxable under Swiss/Geneva law.
Method of Application
Please send your CV together with a letter of motivation in English by e-mail to [email protected] by 09h00 CET Wednesday, 02 January 2013. State “Communications Officer” in the subject of your e-mail. A written test will be part of the recruitment process. All applications will be acknowledged, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Please understand that we cannot respond to phone enquiries.
Information culled from here.