Call for nominations: The Gwangju Prize for Human Rights 2013
Deadline: February 24, 2013
Nominations are now being accepted for the May 18 Memorial Foundation Gwangju Prize for Human Rights.
About the Prize
This Prize promotes the spirit of the May 18 Democratization Movement in which the people of Gwangju resisted against brutal military forces for the sake of Democracy and Human Rights in 1980. Historically the May 18 Democratization Movement brought democracy to Korea.
The prize goes to one individual or an organization that has struggled for or contributed to the improvement and advancement of human rights, democracy and peace in their community and country.
Nominations will be collected from 19 December to 24 February. Preliminary and final reviews of nominees will take place through February to March. The winner of the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights will be announced on the first week of April. The official prize ceremony will be held at the May 18 Memorial Culture Center, Gwangju, on May 18, 2013.
Eligibility for the Prize
1) A person or group eligible for the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights nominated by another individual or organization. An individual cannot nominate him/herself and cannot be nominated by his/her own organization.
2) A person or group who has been struggling for justice and democracy for their community and country.
3) A person or group who has contributed towards democracy and human rights movements through their work in their organization.
Policy of the Prize Committee
1) Co-winners may only be selected by the Prize Committee, not by nominators; a nominator can only submit 1 nominee.
2) Nominators cannot interfere with or participate in the Prize Committee’s selection process.
3) The Prize Committee may only disclose the amount of nominees, not the names of them.
The prize winner will receive the prize money, 50,000 USD (10,000 USD for the winner of the special prize for the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights), medal and certificate.
The Prize will be awarded at the Prize Ceremony to be held at the May 18 Memorial Culture Center, on May 18, 2013 and the winner should attend the Ceremony.
The prize winner is expected to attend press conferences and a Special Celebration Concert on May 19, 2013.
For more information, click here.