First Annual Africa Youth Assembly: Apply!
Deadline: January 21, 2013
The International Youth Council-Kenya is recruiting up to 200 people from Africa to participate in the first Annual Africa Youth Assembly. Their goal is to ensure that at least two young people from every African country are represented at this event, all with direct experience in youth-led development, so their valuable perspectives and realities provide a new paradigm for Africa’s development.
This is an excellent opportunity for a young person (aged 18 – 35), coming from one of the 54 official countries within Africa, with an interest in youth-led development and experience of working in this area, to develop their skills and experience in discussion and debate. Youth participants will have a unique opportunity to provide their own perspectives on the discussion and offer their experiences of significant and serious contributions that young people can make in Africa’s development.
Timing and dates
The First Africa Youth Assembly is hosted by The International Youth Council-Kenya and partners from the 26th – 28th February, 2013. Please note these dates may be subject to some changes.
The Assembly is taking place in Nairobi, Kenya.
- All delegates must demonstrate direct experience of and expertise in youth-led development in Africa. (e.g. as a community development worker/volunteer, field researcher, youth advocate, youth worker, peer educator, M&E Officer).
- Candidates must also demonstrate the following:
- Excellent ability to work as part of a team and to get on with others
- Ability to engage and enthuse and listen to others
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills
- Articulate and confident public speaker- Fluent in English
- Open minded and culturally aware
- Aged 18-35
As far as possible, the final selected delegates will bring together a wide range of life experiences, abilities and social, economic and cultural backgrounds including:
- a 50:50 ratio of young women and young men
- People with disabilities
- People of different sexualities
- Self-employed, unemployed, student, full-time or part-time employment
Note: This is an unpaid voluntary position. Logistical information will be communicated to selected participants.
For more information, click here.