Deadline: March 10, 2013
Location : Bonn, GERMANY
Type of Contract : FTA Local
Post Level : GS-5
Languages Required: English Spanish
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start) 01-May-2013
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme invites appplications from interested volunteers for its Online Volunteering Programme assistant position. The UNV is the United Nations organization that contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. UNV contributes to peace and development by advocating for recognition of volunteers, working with partners to integrate volunteerism into development programming, and mobilizing an increasing number and diversity of volunteers, including experienced UN volunteers, throughout the world.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Programme Specialist, Online Volunteering, Volunteer Knowledge and Innovation Section, the Programme Assistant, Online Volunteering supports the service users with regular day-to-day Online Volunteering activities and the daily administration of the service’s operations.
Other responsibilities include:
- Provide support to users of UNV’s Online Volunteering service focusing on achieving the following results:
- Respond to general queries in English and French or Spanish including updating of standard message templates;
- Guide users (organizations and online volunteers) on the registration process and other website-related issues and problem solving;
- Support the development of new content for the website and other communication tools;
- Update content of the Online Volunteering service website, including upload of the English, French and Spanish versions of the monthly newsletter;
- Prepare data on online volunteering and statistics for monitoring results and reporting on trends;
- Support the Online Volunteering service Team on daily administration of operations focusing on achieving the following results:
- Perform screening of organization’s applications: ensuring required information is complete, verifying compliance with UN policies, verifying applicant organizations’ goals and activities through internet research, and getting timely feedback from Country Office Teams or Support Units;
- Perform screening of online volunteering opportunities submitted in English and French or Spanish: ensuring clear task descriptions, context and expected development impact ;
- Update organization and opportunity screening guidelines with relevant research on UN policies ;
- Support development of new functionalities and systems enhancements as needed ;
- Provide support to the development and implementation of the promotion strategy ;
- Collect information, stories and other relevant data for website posting;
- Maintain Unit’s files on reference materials.
- Other related duties that may be assigned.
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others
- Informed and transparent decision making
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education. University degree is an asset but not a requirement.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience including in online collaboration and/or communication;
- Knowledge of volunteer management and /or in a development context involving volunteers and of civil society organizations in developing countries context is required;
- Solid computer skills, including basic website content management.
- Language Requirements:
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of Spanish.
- Working knowledge of Portuguese is an asset.
Applications should be submitted on line and include an up to date CV and the UNDP Personal History Form (P11).
The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment.
This post is for local recruitment only. All travel, interview and relocation costs, if any, incurred to take up an appointment at the duty station in Bonn are at the expense of the applicant.
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
For more information, click here.