Deadline: May 30, 2013
The FRB and the French GEF have jointly called for research projects on scenarios of biodiversity change in Sub-Saharan Africa. The aim of this call is to identify projects that have the potential to contribute to the conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, by increasing the understanding of future plausible changes of biodiversity and ecosystem services and by strongly linking research to policy and management.
Grants of €150.000 to €200,000 will fund projects of one or two years in one or more eligible African countries. Applicants must provide at least 50% of project costs. The lead for the project can be from the North or South, or shared.
Research should aim to understand future plausible changes in biodiversity and ecosystem services, and strongly link research to policy and management.
The call is open to proposals that target the above aims, scope and themes and meet the following eligibility criteria.
- Projects must target one or several Sub-‐Saharan African countries.
- The duration of the proposed research should be 2 to 3 years, with an additional period dedicated to the transfer of knowledge and tools to end users.
- The total financial support requested for an individual project proposal should not exceed 150000 to 200000€. Projects on a smaller scale are also welcome.
- Applicants will have to guarantee a co-‐financing contribution of 50% of the project total cost.
- Projects must include atleast one partner belonging to a French research organization (including their representations or research centres abroad).
- Projects must include in their consortium atleast one local or regional stakeholder concerned by the issue of biodiversity conservation, management or use (i.e. a non-‐academic partner working in Sub-‐Saharan Africa0
- Scientific responsibility for the project may be borne by a participant from the North or from the South, or can be shared. A single partner must support financial responsibility.
Participants in a project are individuals with the relevant expertise with regard to the objectives of the project. However, individual participants are required to obtain the support of the appropraite official within their organisation (partner of the project) by providing a signed letter of commitment.
List of Sub-‐Saharan African countries where projects can be carried out and from which organisations are eligible for funding;
Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Democratic Republic of Congo, Côte d’Ivoire, Djibouti, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-‐Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sao Tome and Principe, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, South Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe
For more information, click here.