The 2014 Rhodes Scholarship to University of Oxford
Deadline: August 15, 2013
The Rhodes Trust is now accepting applications from eligible candidates for the 2014 scholarship program. The Rhodes Scholarship is for applicants who want to pursue postgraduate studies at the University of Oxford. The scholarship aims to support outstanding all-round students at Oxford, and providing transformative opportunities for exceptional individuals.
A Rhodes Scholarship covers all University and College fees, a personal stipend and one economy class airfare to Oxford at the start of the Scholarship, as well as an economy flight back to the student’s home country at the conclusion of the Scholarship.
The selection criteria, as found in the Will of Cecil Rhodes, govern selection across all Rhodes constituencies. They are:
- literary and scholastic attainments
- energy to use one’s talents to the full
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
In general, committees will select applicants of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The Rhodes Trust warmly welcomes applications from talented young women and men of diverse backgrounds. Selection of Rhodes Scholars is made without regard to gender, gender identity, marital status, sexual orientation, race, ethnic origin, colour, religion, social background, caste, or disability.
The following eligibility criteria apply to all applicants for the Rhodes Scholarships:
- Applicants must com from one of the Southern African Countries (including South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia and Swaziland).
- Applicants must live permanently in and must have resided for at least five years within the period of ten years immediately preceding their application.
- Age limits vary between constituencies and range from a minimum age limit of 18 to a maximum of 28 by 1 October of the year following selection. In most constituencies, the age limit is 24 or 25.
- All applicants must have achieved academic standing sufficiently advanced to assure completion of a bachelor’s degree by the October following election. Academic standing must be sufficiently high to ensure admission to the University of Oxford, which has very competitive entry requirements, and to give confidence that Rhodes Scholars will perform to a high academic standard in Oxford.
For more information, click here.