Apply To Become A 2014 Knight-Mozilla Fellow
Deadline: August 17, 2013
Are you a developer, technologist, civic hacker, or data cruncher that wants to help change the world of journalism? Apply to become a 2014 Knight-Mozilla Fellow. Spend ten months (with a stipend of $60,000, paid in 10 monthly installments) embedded in some of the best newsrooms in the world writing innovative code and becoming a leader in the international journalism tech community. This is an international program (covering three continents) and welcome participants from around the world.
Knight-Mozilla Fellows are developers, technologists, civic hackers, and data crunchers who are paid to work with the community inside and outside of their newsroom to develop open-source projects. Fellows work in the open by sharing their code and their discoveries, helping to strengthen and build journalism’s toolbox.
- The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship program is designed specifically to engage developers, hackers, engineers, technologists, data crunchers, and other people who like to code and bring them into the newsroom as Fellows.
- Fellows can come from a variety of backgrounds including academia, software engineering, open source coding, and newsroom development.
- If you have a knack for coding and an interest in contributing your skills to journalistic projects, you should apply.
- Knight-Mozilla is an inclusive program and seek Fellows that reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
- Women and other under-represented participants in technology are strongly encouraged to apply for a Knight-Mozilla Fellowship.
Knight-Mozilla Fellowship Benefits
The Knight-Mozilla fellowships present a unique opportunity for people who like to code and who want to influence the future of journalism on the web. Fellows receive a slate of stipends and benefits to ensure the experience will be a transformative one.
The Knight-Mozilla Fellowship is designed to allow flexibility for both Fellows and News Partners. The standard Fellowship offers a stipend of $60,000, paid in 10 monthly installments. Fellows are responsible for remitting all applicable taxes and other government payments as required.
Other benefits include;
- Health Insurance Supplement
- Moving Allowance
- Server Allowance
- Travel Allowance
- Visa Assistance
For more information, click here.