Call for Self-Funded Organizations: ICPD Africa Youth Pre-Conference
Deadline: August 2, 2013
There is an on-going review of the ICPD Programme of Action for 2014 and beyond and the Regional Population Conference is being planned by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa in September 2013 in Addis Ababa – Ethiopia. As part of the review process, there will be a Youth Pre-Conference to the African Population Conference which is an official part of the main conference and its outcome will be presented to both the Experts Meeting and the Ministerial Meeting.
A number of young people have been selected through national consultations with relevant stakeholders to participate in the Youth Pre-Conference to the African Population Conference. However, the Africa ICPD Youth Steering Committee is sending this call out for self-funded youth-led and youth focused organizations to express their interest. There will be about 30 spots allocated to self-funded participants.
Participants in the Youth Pre-Conference are expected to be:
- A leader, or emerging leader, currently working at national, regional or global level in an area that contributes to the ICPD Programme of Action;
- Working in a paid or voluntary capacity for a civil society organisation engaged in policy development at national and local levels;
- Working in a paid or voluntary capacity for organizations that have a demonstrable national and/or international reach and mandate;
- Able to demonstrate outstanding youth advocacy and networking capabilities with concrete examples of achievements in these areas in different contexts;
- Below the age of 35 with special emphasis on youth under 25 years and youth from vulnerable groups
When considering candidates for the youth pre-conference, the Youth Steering Committee will take into account the following key knowledge, skills, awareness and values:
- A commitment to the values of ICPD
- Leadership experience
- Innovation in the arena of policy development and application
- Desire to contribute to and improve the leadership potential for the civil society sector
- Willingness to learn and share
- Eagerness to lead debate and discussions during the youth pre-conference
- Commitment to follow up activities
- Track record of achievement/work in ICPD and the Post 2015 development Agenda
- Proof of availability of funding for youth pre-conference participation
- We therefore invite interested organizations and individuals (young people) to submit Letters of Interests to participate in the Youth preconference to the Africa Population Conference.
- Selected self-funded participants will have to cater for their flights, accommodation and living costs.
- Snacks, lunch and conference materials will be provided by the organizers.
For more information, click here.