Apply now for the VSO-ICS Volunteer Programme in Nigeria – October 2013
Deadline: August 20, 2013
Applications are now open for the VSO-ICS three month volunteer program in Nigeria. VSO ICS is a youth centred community development programme, conducted in partnership between International Citizen Service (ICS), Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) and other implementing partners. Through a programme of structured personal development and learning, ICS aims to create a cadre of young people who will make lifelong contributions as advocates for international development and as agents of social change within their own communities.
The three-month programme brings together young people (aged 18-25) from the UK and Nigeria. Each team will typically consist of 20 young people, with equal numbers coming from the UK and the host country. In carefully selected communities, volunteers work in placements fully supported by the implementing partner organisations and two full time VSO ICS programme supervisors. Together, in cross-cultural counterpart pairs, volunteers live with host families and work in the host communities. The type of work varies depending upon the needs of the community, but can include service delivery, advocacy work, and peer-to-peer education programmes.
VSO is looking for people who show the potential to learn and to become active Global Citizens. The 7 areas of focus are listed below:
- Positive and realistic commitment to the programme
- A genuine commitment to learning
- Ability to solve problems
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self confidence
- Ability to work with others in a team
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
In addition volunteers must be able to:
- Treat everyone equally and with respect
- Abide by and respect all laws, both of the UK and of the host country
- Abide by all rules and regulations established by VSO ICS to protect their health and safety
- Always stay within host communities, unless by prior agreement from their Programme Supervisor
- Respect the customs and cultures of host communities and specifically their host families
- Take part in all activities and phases of VSO ICS, including pre- and post- programme events
Volunteers must be sure that they can cope with the above standards of behaviour before they apply for the programme.
How to Apply
Download application form and send completed forms to the VSO-ICS Team at – No 14B, Banjul Street, Off Monrovia Street, Wuse 2, Abuja.
Or send it by email to email@example.com
Only short listed candidates will be invited for the interview. Interviews will be conducted in two Locations: Ilorin and Abuja
For application forms, contact us at opportunitydeskforyou @ gmail.com