Knight News Challenge: Health – $5 million in Funding to Innovative Projects
Deadline: September 17, 2013
The Knight Foundation is now accepting submissions for Knight News Challenge: Heath. Anyone and everyone is invited to submit a project for funding with an answer to the question, “How can we harness data and information for the health of communities?” The Challenge will fund innovative ideas to harness news, information and data for the health of communities. Anyone from anywhere, including individuals, nonprofits and companies, may apply.
Winners receive a share of $5 million in funding and support from Knight’s network of influential peers and advisors to help advance their ideas. Winning the News Challenge makes you part of an international network of entrepreneurs and experts unlike any other.
- Knight has committed $2 million to the challenge. Awards can be made for any amount – $1,000 to $1,000,000. Obviously large awards are less common than smaller ones, but you should apply for what you need.
- In addition, two collaborators, the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and the California HealthCare Foundation, have each pledged $100,000 for companion awards.
- The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation will award prizes of $50,000, $30,000 and $20,000 for the top three projects that “best combine public health data and health care data to improve the health of communities.”
- California HealthCare Foundation will award $100,000 to one or more projects focused on helping county and city officials use health data for policymaking.
- Anyone, anywhere, of any age.
- This competition is open to nonprofits, for-profits or individuals anywhere in the world.
- Awards to minors will be made to an intermediary designated by Knight Foundation.
- Organizations based outside the US will require a fiscal sponsor; Knight Foundation will work this out with you later in the process if you move forward.
Again, the deadline to apply is 5 p.m. ET Tuesday, Sept. 17. However, the earlier you submit your idea, the more time you will have for others to find it, critique it, share it and help you improve it.
Read the FAQs before applying.
For more information, click here.