2014 OneBeat International Cultural Exchange Program for Musicians
Deadline: January 15, 2014
Applications are now open for the 2014 OneBeat Fellowship Program. OneBeat is an international cultural exchange that celebrates the transformative power of the arts through the creation of original, inventive music, and people-to-people diplomacy. OneBeat brings young musicians (ages 19-35) from around the world to the U.S. for one month to collaboratively write, produce, and perform original music, and develop ways that music can make a positive impact on our local and global communities.
The program will be 26-28 days in length. While in the U.S. the Fellows will participate in a two-week residency, during which they will develop and rehearse original material. They will then go on a 10-14 day tour, during which they will perform the music they developed and rehearsed during the residency period. Throughout the program Fellows will develop and lead creative workshops for youth and community groups.
- OneBeat is open to musicians ages 19-35. Applicants must be 19 or older at the time of application and 35 or younger at the end of the program (October 2014).
- Eligible Countries:
- Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bangladesh, Bolivia, Brazil, Burma, Colombia, Cuba, Cyprus, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Fiji, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kenya, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Malaysia, Morocco, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, Palestinian Territories, Russia, Senegal, Serbia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Venezuela, Zimbabwe
- Musicians from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, with or without formal musical training. We welcome music of all genres
- Collaboration is central. OneBeat offers musicians the opportunity to collaborate on new projects and to explore new musical traditions. Rather than showcasing solo talent, OneBeat musicians will work together across stylistic and cultural divides in pursuit of new musical possibilities.
- OneBeat is socially engaged. We are looking for musicians who have a strong commitment to their communities and who are seeking new ways to engage in youth development, music education, music therapy, conflict resolution, a global dialogue through music, and other ways of working towards more egalitarian and democratic societies.
- OneBeat is a FREE program (but not a paid gig). The OneBeat program covers all Fellows’ travel, transportation, food, and lodging. We also offer a modest stipend. While we are not able to pay performance fees, OneBeat offers Fellows a chance to create new material, establish lifelong musical partnerships and friendships, learn new marketable skills, tour the US, and develop professional connections.
For more information, click here.