2014 Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership for Students Worldwide, USA (Fully-funded)
Deadline: January 12, 2014
Students from across the world are invited to apply to the Hansen Summer Institute on Leadership and International Cooperation. The Hansen Summer Institute is an exciting international program funded by a generous grant from the Fred J. Hansen Foundation that provides a unique University-based leadership experience and program in international cooperation.
The program focuses on creating an international community of young scholars who will use their summer experience as a foundation for creating lasting friendships and acquiring common practical understanding of a more peaceful future. The Hansen Summer Institute will host these group of young leaders in July 2014 at the University of San Diego School of Leadership and Education Sciences (SOLES).
Program elements will involve classroom instruction and hands-on training in the latest techniques of conflict resolution, mediation, and inter-cultural management. Classroom training will complement local excursions to San Diego historical attractions and cultural events including a fourth of July parade, a Padres baseball game, and a harbor cruise. Hansen Summer Institute training aims to provide participants a “leadership toolbox” for resolving conflict and building a better future for their respective countries.
All participants of the program are provided with:
- Accomodation and meals for the duration of the program
- Local ground transportation
- Program materials
Non-US participants are provided with:
- International airfare to and from their home city
- Health insurance for the duration of the program
- . Students will need to check with their own University advisors and departments regarding academic credit for their participation.
The program DOES NOT provide:
- The cost of an international passport
- Costs associated with the US visa application and interview at the US Embassy or Consulate
- The cost of a US visa
- Academic credit for participation in the program
To participate in the Hansen Summer Institute, candidates must meet the following eligibility requirements:
NON – US STUDENTS: (from underdeveloped countries or countries at risk of conflict)
- Be under 25 years of age with at least two (2) years of college/university.
- Have an academic advisor verify, in writing, the candidate’s English proficiency. (Semi-finalists will be required to participate in a telephone interview. )
- Have a valid international passport, with US visa, if necessary, by the time the program begins.
- Preference will be given to students who have never been to the United States before but all qualified students are encouraged to apply.
(Students from any California university)
- Be under 25 years of age with at least two (2) years of college/university).
- Be an active student, in good standing, at a California college or university.
Successful applicants must demonstrate leadership potential by having worked outside of class in community service, another public service, or in a non-governmental organization. A letter of reference from such a group or organization is required.
2014 APPLICATION DEADLINES:
NON-US students: January 12, 2014
US students: February 16, 2014
For more information, click here.