2014 Cultural Vistas Fellowship for U.S. University Students
Deadline: February 7, 2014
The Cultural Vistas Fellowship affords underrepresented U.S. university students the unique opportunity to advance their career goals, develop global competencies, and experience life in another culture. Cultural Vistas will select up to 12 fellows to take part in this multinational professional development program that includes eight-week summer internships in Argentina, Germany, and Singapore. This fellowship opportunity is funded by Cultural Vistas.
Summer 2014: Sustainability in Asia, Europe, & Latin America
Cultural Vistas Fellows will enrich their academic learning through professional internship and immersion experiences focused on environmental sustainability. One cohort of up to four fellows will travel to each international destination.
The program will take place in five distinct phases:
- Virtual learning component to orient fellows to their host country and each other, discuss sustainability issues, and prepare for their time abroad
- Pre-departure orientation in New York City for fellows to meet, share learning goals, and prepare for their international internships
- Eight-week internships in Buenos Aires, Berlin, and Singapore. During this phase, fellows will take part in an online learning exchange to process and provide comparative analyses of their experiences.
- Re-entry seminar in New York City bringing together fellows to reflect on their experiences and share what they learned during the program
- Post-program “Fellows in Service” activities that highlight the learning acquired on campuses and in local communities
- Program-related travel expenses, including round-trip airfare to and within internship country; travel to New York City for pre-departure and re-entry seminars
- Internship placement in Argentina, Germany, or Singapore
- Accommodations throughout program, including pre-departure and re-entry seminars
- Virtual learning seminar
- Pre-departure support services
- Cultural orientation upon arrival in host country
- Visa application support (where applicable)
- Emergency medical insurance during internship phase
Candidates for the Cultural Vistas Fellowship must meet the following requirements:
- U.S. citizens enrolled full-time at a four-year accredited U.S. college or university
- Rising junior or senior status; minimum GPA of 3.0
- Ages 18-30
- No formal prior work or study abroad experiences
- Academic or practical experience (volunteer or work) in sustainability, environmental awareness, engineering, and related sciences
- Prior knowledge of language of host country (applicable in Germany and Argentina only)
- Strong preference will be given to students historically underrepresented in international exchange. This includes, but is not limited to Pell Grant recipients; veterans; first-generation college students; STEM majors; members of minority communities within the United States; and non-traditional students.
For more information, click here.