Internships at the World Federation of United Nations Association 2014 – USA
The World Federation of United Nations Association (WFUNA) invites full-time interns from all over the world to work in both their New York and Geneva offices. Internships are unpaid, 6 months in length, and cover a wide range of topics.
WFUNA commits to providing a supportive and creative working environment in which interns may develop their skills and explore new opportunities, taking full advantage of being with a global non-governmental organization at United Nations Headquarters.
Applications are welcome from people all over the world to become interns.
Over the last few years, interns have come from the following countries: Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, Cote d’ Ivoire, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hungary, India, Israel, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Latvia, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland, Pakistan, Poland, Philippines, Russia, Spain, South Africa, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Uganda, United Kingdom, United States, Uzbekistan and Venezuela.
Interns are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner, adhering to the office working hours (9.30am -5.30 pm), accepting responsibility for the timely and efficient completion of their tasks and respecting the fact that they have access to privileged information.
In general, the work of interns is an integral part of ongoing WFUNA activities, such as:
- Fundraising, specifically researching government and foundation prospects and writing/ adapting grant proposals and Letters of Inquiry
- Communicating with United Nations Associations and partners
- Developing and implementing projects in specific issue areas (i.e. climate change, human rights, sustainable development, peace and security…etc.)
- Preparation of project proposals
- Liaising with diplomats, NGOs and UN Secretariat staff
- Attending UN and NGO meetings and events on topic of specialization
- Event management ( WFUNA holds meetings throughout the year)
- Website maintenance
- Collaborating with staff on WFUNA’s social media presence
- Administrative activities
Applicants must meet the resume requirements detailed in the vacancy announcement for the position they are applying for. Interns must be able to commit to working full-time (40hrs/week), for 6 month duration.
WFUNA is not in a position to provide a stipend to interns, all positions are unpaid. Many interns have raised funds from their local community to subsidize their travel and living expenses. WFUNA may, on request, provide a confirmation letter of acceptance.
WFUNA is not able to sponsor interns for visas to the United States. Interns have to apply for, and finance their own visas. WFUNA will provide all necessary “host organization” documentation to accepted interns. Interns are responsible for having the proper paperwork and must have the appropriate legal status in the United States in order to be able to commence their internship.
For more information, click here.