2014 Goi Peace Foundation / UNESCO International Essay Contest for Youth
Deadline: June 15, 2014
Goi Peace Foundation and UNESCO are now accepting entries from young people worldwide for the 2014 International Essay Contest. This annual essay contest is organized in an effort to harness the energy, imagination and initiative of the world’s youth in promoting a culture of peace and sustainable development.
THEME: “My Role as a Citizen of Earth”
- Essays may be submitted by anyone up to 25 years old (as of June 15, 2014) in one of the following age categories:
- Children (ages up to 14)
- Youth (ages 15 – 25)
- Essays must be 700 words or less in English, French, Spanish or German; or 1600 characters or less in Japanese, typed or printed.
- Essays must have a cover page indicating (1) category (Children or Youth) (2) essay title (3) your name (4) address (5) phone number (6) e-mail (7) nationality (8) age as of June 15, 2014 (9) gender (10) school name (if applicable) (11) word count.
- Teachers and youth directors may submit a collection of essays from their class or group.
- Please enclose a list of participants’ names, ages and the name and contact information of the submitting teacher or director.
- * Entries missing any of the above information will not be considered.
- Entries may be submitted by postal mail or online.
- * IMPORTANT: To send your essay online, you must go to the online registration page at www.goipeace.or.jp and follow the required steps.
- Essays must be original and unpublished.
- Essays must be written by one person. Co-authored essays are not accepted.
- Copyright of the essays entered will be assigned to the organizers.
The following awards will be given in the Children’s category and Youth category respectively:
- 1st Prize: Certificate and prize of 100,000 Yen (approx. US$950 as of January 2014) … 1 entrant
- 2nd Prize: Certificate and prize of 50,000 Yen (approx. US$475 as of January 2014) … 2 entrants
- 3rd Prize: Certificate and gift … 5 entrants
- Honorable Mention: Certificate and gift for… 25 entrants
* 1st prize winners will be invited to the award ceremony in Tokyo, Japan scheduled for December 2014. (Travel expenses will be covered by the organizers.)
* Additional awards (Recognition for Effort, Best School Award, School Incentive Award) will be given if applicable.
* All prize winners will be announced in November 2014 on the Goi Peace Foundation web site (www.goipeace.or.jp) and UNESCO web site (www.unesco.org/youth). Certificates and gifts will be mailed to the winners in November 2014.
For more information, click here.