2014 Ministry of Education(Taiwan) Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program for Nigerians
Deadline: March 31, 2014
Interested applicants are invited to apply for the 2014 Ministry of Education(Taiwan) Huayu Enrichment Scholarship Program for Nigerians.
To encourage international students and individuals to undertake Mandarin Chinese language study in Taiwan, the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China (Taiwan) established the Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarship (HES) Program for studying Mandarin Chinese and Taiwan’s culture at university- or college-affiliated Mandarin training centers in Taiwan.
The Ministry of Education will grant the scholarship recipient a monthly stipend of NT$ 25,000(approximately 130,000 naira) for maximum one (1) year.
- a monthly stipend of NT$ 25,000(approximately 130,000 naira) for maximum one (1) year.
Duration of study:
- a. In general, the duration of award is one year.
- b. The Trade Mission of the ROC(Taiwan) in Nigeria can also grant recipient an award period of 9 months, 6 months, 3 months or summer class for 2 months (June, July or August).
- Annual award periods
- a. The annual award period is from 1st September 2013 through 31st August 2014. If the recipient fails to undertake the study in Taiwan during this period, his/her award status will be cancelled.
- b. The recipient should be matriculated for the study term/quarter at the individual Mandarin training center as specified in the award. The recipient may defer his/her matriculation if approved by the selected Mandarin training center and the Ministry of Education; in any case, the yearly award period expires on August 31.
- c. If the recipient begins his/her study after the intended study term/quarter has started, their award period will become effective from the month he/she matriculates at his/her individual Mandarin training centers in Taiwan.
- A recipient’s award period will end when his/her specified award period has finished. However, the award will terminate as soon as a recipient drops out, is expelled from a training Mandarin center, or if his/her scholarship is revoked, whichever comes first.
An applicant must meet all of the following:
- Be a Nigerian citizen of 18 years of age or older, a high school graduate or above, with an excellent academic performance in his/her most recent formal educational study experience and be of good moral character.
- Is not an ROC (Taiwan) national.
- Does not have the status of being an overseas compatriot student.
- Is not currently a registered student at a Mandarin training center, and has never been a degree-seeking student at any university or college in Taiwan.
- Is not an exchange student in accordance with an agreement of cooperation between Taiwan and Nigeria.
- Has never received an award neither under this scholarship program nor the Taiwan Scholarship Program.
- Is not a recipient of any other scholarship or subsidy offered by the Taiwan government or any other educational institutions in Taiwan.
- Application form for ROC(Taiwan) Ministry of Education Huayu Enrichment Scholarships 2014 (as appendix A),
- One photocopy of applicant’s diploma or highest degree of education (in English),
- Academic records listing courses and grades (in English),
- One letter of recommendation (in English),
- One photocopy of application form to a Mandarin training center affiliated to universities/colleges in Taiwan, (the list of language school as appendix B)
- One photocopy of National ID and valid passport.
- Current bank statement covering a period of six months signed by the branch manager.
Note: Please visit “study in Taiwan” website (http:www.studyintaiwan.org) for more information concerning Mandarin training centers in Taiwan.
(3) Selection: the Trade Mission of the ROC(Taiwan) in Nigeria will review the application documents and inform the applicants the selection result in writing by 15 April 2014.
Note: No application documents will be returned.
(4) Approval: Applicant is responsible for processing his/her application to the Mandarin training center.
(5) Notification of Admission: Scholarship recipient needs to submit a copy of the admission letter to the Trade Mission of the ROC(Taiwan) in Nigeria no later than June 30 2014 in order to secure the scholarship. Late submission of the document will be deemed as relinquishing the scholarship. In this case, the Trade Mission of the ROC(Taiwan) in Nigeria will award the scholarship to qualified alternate candidate.