2014 VSO-ICS Volunteering Opportunity in Nigeria
Deadline: May 5, 2014
The Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO) in collaboration with International Citizen Service (ICS) is accepting applications for the 2014 Q9 VSO-ICS Program. This is a three-month youth centered community development programme that brings together young people (aged 18-25) from the UK and Nigeria.
Together, in cross-cultural counterpart pairs, volunteers live with host families and work in the host communities. The type of work varies depending upon the needs of the community, but can include service delivery, advocacy work, and peer-to-peer education programmes.
- Each team will typically consist of 20 young people, with equal numbers coming from the UK and the host country. In carefully selected communities, volunteers work in placements fully supported by our implementing partner organisations and two full time VSO ICS programme supervisors.
- Through a programme of structured personal development and learning, ICS aims to create a cadre of young people who will make lifelong contributions as advocates for international development and as agents of social change within their own communities.
VSO ICS does not ask for any specific skills or experience in their volunteers. They do however look for people who show the potential to learn and to become active Global Citizens. The 7 areas of focus are listed below:
- Positive and realistic commitment to the programme
- A genuine commitment to learning
- Ability to solve problems
- Flexibility and adaptability
- Self confidence
- Ability to work with others in a team
- Sensitivity to the needs of others
- In addition volunteers must be able to:
- Treat everyone equally and with respect
- Abide by and respect all laws, both of the UK and of the host country
- Abide by all rules and regulations established by VSO ICS to protect their health and safety
- Always stay within host communities, unless by prior agreement from their Programme Supervisor
- Respect the customs and cultures of host communities and specifically their host families
- Take part in all activities and phases of VSO ICS, including pre- and post-programme events
All Completed forms should be returned to the VSO-ICS Team at No 14B, Banjul Street, Off Monrovia Street, Wuse 2, Abuja OR by email to [email protected]
NOTE: Only short listed candidates will be invited for the interview.