Deadline: April 30, 2014
The Writivism Short Story Prize is the heart of the Writivism program. This year, the prize has opened up to the entire continent, and is currently receiving entries from emerging writers. To boost regional participation, there shall be regional prizes, besides the overall prize.
The panel of judges comprises of five accomplished writers and editors. Chaired by Ellen Aaku-Banda, the panel comprises Zukiswa Wanner (Chair 2013 Prize panel), Emmanuel Sigauke, Glaydah Namukasa and Abubakar Adam Ibrahim.
The longlist shall be announced in May 2014, and all longlisted stories shall be published in The Writivism Anthology 2014. The shortlist will be published as June 2014 begins, and all longlisted writers and the public shall be allowed to vote for their favorite story from the shortlist. The winning story shall be selected by the Judging panel, the first runner up by the peer-vote and the second runner-up by the public vote.
- Entrants must be unpublished writers, resident in an African country. You are deemed published if you have a book of your own.
- The writer must include in the body of the email, other information about him/her, as country of residence, age, legal name and pen name (where applicable) and telephone contact.
- All entries must be in English, and 2,000 – 3,000 words long.
- The story must be original and previously unpublished in any form except on the writer’s personal blo
Five sub-regional winners (Eastern, Western, Central, Southern and Northern) and one overall winner.
- The overall winner of the Writivism Short Story Prize will receive UGX 1,000,000
- The second place winner – UGX 500,000
- The third place winner – UGX 250,000
- Five regional winners will receive UGX 200,000 each.
- Entries should be attached in Microsoft Word or Rich Text formats, with the title of the story as the file name.
- The first page of the story should include the name of the story and the number of words.
- The entry must be typed in Times New Roman 12 point font and 1.5 line spacing.
- No mention should be made on the identity of the writer in the entry.
How to Enter
Entries must be submitted online, by emailing them to [email protected] as attachments (not in the body email), clearly labeled in the subject: Writivism Competition 2014.
For more information, click here.