Deadline: May 12, 2014
The Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) invites applications for the 2014 Diversity Leadership Program. The Diversity Leadership Program is an opportunity for members to become more acquainted with SPJ through exposure to the Society. This educational process begins at the national conference and includes a complimentary conference registration and paid travel to the event. Each year, SPJ selects six members to participate in the program and they are referred to as SPJ Diversity Leadership Fellows.
While at the conference, the Fellows will have a gathering to get to know each other; they will attend SPJ board meetings and business meetings and they will attend the conference sessions and events. The Fellows’ participation in the annual conference is the jumping off point to building a connection and a loyalty to SPJ. The Diversity Leadership Program helps to foster a stronger belief in SPJ and encourages involvement within the organization.
SPJ works to promote a broader voice for diverse journalists in newsrooms across the country, and to expand the depth and quality of news reporting through better sourcing. Diversity efforts are just as important within the SPJ membership as they are in newsrooms and in reporting. Strengthening SPJ’s diversity membership representation is important to the organization’s health and future.
This program is funded by the Sigma Delta Chi Foundation.
Specifically, the program will provide the following:
- A convention registration
- Four-night stay at the convention hotel, the Opryland Hotel
- Airfare to Nashville, Tenn. (up to $300)
- One ticket each to the SPJ President’s Banquet and RTDNA Paul White Reception.
To be eligible for the scholarship
- Have at least three years of post-college journalism experience
- Be a member of SPJ for at least one year
- Be a person of color or other under-represented group (i.e., LGBT/disabled)
- Be willing to attend the entire conference and all events/programs planned for the Fellows
- Be willing to get involved/stay involved in SPJ at the local or national level
Applications are due May 12, 2014. Applicants will be notified by May 31, 2014. Previous participants of the Diversity Leadership Program are not eligible to apply.
For more information, click here.