Deadline: May 20, 2014
Applications are now accepted for the 2014 Southern African Youth Exchange (SayXchange) program, a unique opportunity to experience another culture, to learn a new language and to widen your horizon. The program is open to youth from Mozambique, Malawi, South Africa and Zambia between 18 and 25 years who are or have been volunteers in their community. The actual exchange will take place from 09 July 2014 to 05 December 2014.
SayXchange is one of the many cross-border exchange programmes in the southern African region that encourages and stimulates youth civic engagement. Young people will be encouraged to become positive influences in their communities and key drivers in overcoming poverty in the southern African region. The participants will work for five months as volunteers in community service projects on environmental protection, health, work with migrants, children etc.
- Citizen of the country participating in the current SayXchange cycle (must be resident in country of origin at date of selection) and having lived there for the past 6 months.
- In possession of a valid travel document / passport that is valid for the duration of the exchange and 3 months thereafter.
- Must be culturally sensitive and competent.
- Male and females are encouraged to apply.
- Must be no younger than 18 and no older than 25 years of age.
- Must have track record of leadership.
- Evidence of previous involvement in volunteering organisations/activities in local community.
- Must be an articulate speaker, confident, assertive and contentious.
- Must articulate their vision and what they want to achieve clearly.
- Must side with the excluded and marginalised.
- Have knowledge about their own cultures and global community, including current affairs.
- Willing to commit to the vision of regional integration and development of a Southern African identity.
- Must have evidence of sound mental and physical health.
How to apply
To apply, please complete in the online application form and, in the supporting documents section, attach to it:
- Your updated Curriculum Vitae (CV),
- A motivation letter (no more than 2 pages) outlining why you want to go on the exchange and giving your volunteer history,
- Write an essay (minimum 2 pages) answering the following question: What role should the youth play to eradicate poverty in Southern Africa?
For more information and to download the application forms, click here.