Deadline: June 5, 2014
The Food Security Center (FSC) invite interested and qualified applicants to apply for the 2014 Food Security Center Summer School which will be held at the University of Abomey-Calavi (Republic of Benin), from 4 to 30 August 2014.
The Food Security Center (FSC)’s mission is “to provide innovative and effective scientific contributions to reduce hunger and achieve food security, contributing towards the progress of Millennium Development Goal 1, especially towards the eradication of hunger and malnutrition”.
This Summer School is organized jointly by the University of Abomey-Calavi (Republic of Benin), the Food Security Center of the University of Hohenheim (Germany), EXCEED (“Program Higher Education Excellence in Development Cooperation”) and funded through the DAAD with funds from the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
The course will consist of 4 modules. Each module will be a mixture of theories, applications, discussions and excursions.
- Module 1 (August 4 – 8, 2014): Measuring malnutrition and food insecurity
- Module 2 (August 11 – 15, 2014): Sustainability of crop and animal production
- Module 3 (18 to 22 August 2014): Economic and social aspects of malnutrition and food insecurity
- Module 4 (25 to 29 August 2014): Policies for food accessibility and stability, and for alleviating malnutrition
- The Food Security Center of the University of Hohenheim (Germany) will offer up to 20 scholarships for applicants from Africa, Asia, and Latin America to participate in this course. Scholarships will include the air ticket from the nearest airport to Cotonou (Republic of Benin)
- And the equivalent of 700 Euros for lodging, meals, and transportation in Benin).
- The course will be delivered in English. Participants are expected to be fluent in English.
- Highly motivated PhD students from developing countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America are encouraged to apply
- Qualified applicants in Africa, Asia and Latin America are encouraged to send their applications including a Curriculum Vitae (in English),
- a letter of motivation (in English),
- and a copy of certificate of their enrollment at their University to Dr. Afio ZANNOU (University of Abomey-Calavi; Email: [email protected]). Sponsored participants are expected to attend all the four modules of the course.
For more information, click here.