2014 Global Security Seminar in London (Fully Funded)!
Deadline: June 30, 2014
Journalists are invited to apply to attend the 2014 Global Security Seminar. The 2014 Global Security Seminar, to be held from 22-24 October in London, will bring together leading security experts, authoritative commentators and journalists for a series of lively presentations and debates addressing some of the world’s most pressing security and terrorism issues.
The seminar will feature discussion of Russia’s territorial ambitions, terrorism in East Africa, continuing turmoil in the Middle East, cyber security, and much more. There will also be practical training sessions designed for the journalists taking part.
The aim of the Global Security Seminar is to improve the quality of reporting on security and terrorism across the globe. Participating journalists will be able to explore the challenges of reporting responsibly on these issues and compare approaches with journalists from a range of different countries.
- Funding covers travels and accommodation
The seminar is open to journalists, who:
- have a proven interest and track record in reporting on security issues and conflict;
- are willing to actively take part in the debate;
- have at least 5 years’ journalistic experience working in print, broadcast or online media;
- are fluent in English.
- Journalists from across the globe are eligible for this seminar. However, participants from countries with ongoing security challenges are particularly encouraged to apply, including those from Africa, the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
- A motivation statement of no more than 250 words explaining why you wish to take part in the seminar – in English
- In no more than 400 words, answer the following question in English: “When covering terrorism and conflict how can journalists report impartially and avoid being manipulated?” Please draw on your own experience if possible.
- Two recent examples of your work, preferably relevant to the issues covered in the seminar, with a brief summary in English (if necessary). TV/Radio journalists can send in their scripts and a brief summary.
- You can apply online here.
- When applying, you will be asked to upload three documents – please have them ready before you start the process. If you have problems applying, please email [email protected]
For more information, click here.