Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship Program 2015
Deadline: September 12, 2014
Applications are now accepted for the 2014 Mo Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship, designed to identify and support potential African leaders of the future. The Ibrahim Leadership Fellowship Programme is a selective Fellowship that prepares the next generation of outstanding African leaders by providing them with unique work opportunities at the most senior level of prominent African institutions or multilateral organizations, whose mandate is to improve the economic and social prospects of Africa.
Position: Mo Ibrahim Leadership Fellow
Location: African Development Bank (ADB) in Abidjan, republic of Côte d’Ivoire
The Fellowship allows talented individuals to increase and enhance their professional capacity, with the intention of contributing to the governance and development of their countries thereby creating a pipeline of future African leaders.
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellows WILL receive mentoring from the current leaders of key multilateral institutions. The Fellow will work with the Bank for this purpose, for a period not exceeding twelve (12) months, and the Foundation will finance the costs associated with the position.
Duties and responsibilities
The Ibrahim Leadership Fellow will take leadership guidance from the President, the Chief Operating Officer and/or a designated Representative. Administratively, the Fellow will be assigned to the Bank’s Strategy Department (STRG). With this guidance, the Fellow will contribute to the design and implementation of strategic assignments that will increase and enhance their professional and leadership capacity, with the intention of contributing to the governance and development of their countries.
The Fellow will also have the following responsibilities:
- Advise on and develop strategic initiatives to advance the Bank’s mission and objectives.
- Plan, develop, and implement strategies for generating resources.
- Conceive, develop and promote innovations in Bank development policies.
- Review activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in attaining objectives and revise objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions.
- Undertake other duties as assigned.
The Fellow will perform the functions and duties of the position at the headquarters of the Bank in Abidjan, the Republic of Côte d’Ivoire, or in any other location from which the Bank carries out its operations.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- Be national of an African country, residing anywhere in the world;
- Not be an active, non-active, retired, or separated staff member of the Bank;
- Not have close family relations with an active or non-active staff member, such as mother, father, sister and brother.
- Government officials, active military personnel and political party leaders are not eligible;
- Be under the age of forty (40) years for men or forty-five (45) years for women with children;
- Hold a minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Engineering, Social Sciences, International Development, Business Administration, Finance, Banking or any discipline relevant to the Bank’s business: such as outstanding academic credentials, relevant work experience, strong communication skills, demonstrated leadership skills and ability to work with others;
- Have at least 7 (seven) years work experience relevant to the Bank’s activities;
- Demonstrate proven leadership and consultative skills;
- Have experience in strategic planning and execution ;
- Demonstrate knowledge of contracting, negotiating, and change management;
- Have enhanced skills in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures;
- Have experience in formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures;
- Demonstrate ability to develop financial plans and manage resources;
- Demonstrate ability to analyze and interpret financial data;
- Demonstrate ability to communicate and interact with officials at all levels of government and to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community;
- Demonstrate ability to motivate teams and simultaneously manage several projects.
The Application Process
- Applicants must apply on line by no later than 12 September 2014.
- Applications will only be considered if they are submitted on line with a comprehensive Curriculum Vitae (CV)) indicating date of birth, nationality, education and relevant experience.
- Applicants must also attach copies of academic transcripts and three letters of recommendation.
- The selection process will include the Bank’s Human Resources Department carrying out an initial vetting of applications to develop a short list of ten (10) applicant files to be further reviewed by the Foundation. A short list of three (3) candidates will be presented to the President of the Bank (or his designate) for final selection.
- Only applicants who fully meet the Bank’s requirements and are considered for interview will be contacted.
For more information, visit Ibrahim Foundation Leadership Fellowship in ADB