Deadline: August 29, 2014
The Allan Gray Foundation invites interested applicants to apply for the Allan Gray Fellowship opportunity. The fellowship consists of an Entrepreneurial and Personal Development Programme, as part of a full undergraduate university scholarship. The Fellowship Programme runs throughout the year, alongside tertiary studies and includes mentoring, seminars, guest speakers, experiential learning activities and project based deliverables.
The Fellowship application is open to the best and most ambitious Grade 12 and first year university students from the Southern African region including South Africa, Namibia, Botswana and Swaziland. This initiative aims to develop students, known as Allan Gray Candidate Fellows, into Southern Africa’s future high impact responsible entrepreneurs.
Applications are currently open for South African students.
The Candidate Fellow’s university studies are covered by a full undergraduate scholarship that includes tuition, university residence and a book allowance as well as a monthly stipend. This support is to ensure that the Candidate Fellow is able to purely focus on their academics and entrepreneurial development.
For top performing Candidate Fellows, potential future scholarships are available for postgraduate studies.
Apart from being entrepreneurially minded, there are a couple of mandatory academic requirements that applicants need to fulfil:
- Citizenship of South Africa
- Belief in the future of your country
- An ambassador of the Foundation’s intended profile (see General Selection Criteria above)
- Studying for a Commerce, Science (excluding Medicine), Humanities (majoring Politics, Philosophy or Economics) or Engineering degree
- Studying at the following universities WITS, UJ, UCT,NMMU, Rhodes, UWC, Stellenbosch, TSIBA, UFS or UP
- Minimum of a 65% average for your mid-year exam results (June)
- Applicant not older than 22 in 2014
General Selection Criteria
Fellowship Applicants need to be able to show a track record of leadership or being entrepreneurially minded. The Foundation’s framework to measure this as follows:
- Achievement Excellence: The ongoing pursuit of excellence with tangible and specific focus on setting goals. A motivation to make a difference and leave a mark.
- Intellectual Imagination: Demonstrated by an established record of intellectual achievement; an ability to see the unseen, challenge the status quo and suggest that things could be done differently.
- Courageous Commitment: The courage and dedication to continue, realising that applying consistent commitment has a way of overcoming.
- Spirit of Significance: A weight of personality that comes from living a life personified by passion and integrity.
- Personal Initiative: A person who makes things happen and celebrates the satisfaction of bringing new things into being. Independent, proactive and self-starting
How to Apply
Download and complete an application form. You can also SMS “1st Year and your Fax Nr. or email address” to 36777 to have an application form faxed or emailed to you.
Submit a hard copy of your application form before or on the closing date to, 46 Hof Street, Oranjezicht, Cape Town or to 8th Floor, Forum Building, Maude Street, Sandton, Johannesburg. Alternatively post it to Allan Gray Orbis Free Post License No. CB11349, Kloof Street, 8008
You can be an Allay Gray Fellow!
For more information, visit Allan Gray Fellowship.