Deadline: July 28, 2014
The Brazilian National Council for Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq-MCTI) and The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) – for the advancement of science in developing countries , invite interested researchers to apply for CNPq / TWAS Fellowship Programme.
TWAS-CNPq Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at research institutions in Brazil for a period of up to four years and are awarded to students from developing countries (other than Brazil) to enable them to pursue all or part (SANDWICH or FULL-TIME) of their research leading towards a PhD degree in the natural sciences.
- CNPq will provide a standard monthly allowance which should be used to cover living costs, such as accommodation, food and health insurance. The monthly stipend will not be convertible into foreign currency.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be at most 35 years old on 31 December 2014.
- Hold a university degree in the Natural Sciences (minimum Master’s degree).
- Have good command of Portuguese and/or Spanish and/or English.
- Be a national of a developing country other than Brazil.
- Must not hold a visa for permanent or temporary residency in Brazil or in a developed country.
- Be officially enrolled as a PhD student in the home country for at least 1 (one) year by the date of the application.
- Provide evidence that s/he will return to her/his home country on completion of the fellowship.
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship.
- Provide an official acceptance letter from the host institution.
- Prove knowledge of Portuguese or provide a certificate of proficiency in Spanish or English (if these languages are not the candidate’s mother tongue).
- Have an updated Curriculum Vitae on CNPq’s Lattes Platform.
- Present a detailed research plan agreed by her/his host supervisor.
- Be financially responsible for any accompanying family members.
For sandwich postgraduate fellowship applicants only, must:
- Be officially registered as a PhD student in her/his home country for at least 12 months before presenting her/his candidacy to the sandwich postgraduate fellowship.
- Have a letter of agreement of her/his supervisor in her/his home country.
- Applications to the TWAS-CNPq Fellowships must be submitted online only.
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from a CAPES-listed institution to CNPq when applying. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Applicants can download the call for application.
For more information, visit CNPq / TWAS Fellowship Programme.