Apply for the USAID LOTUS Scholarship Program 2014 – Egypt
Deadline: August 17, 2014
The U.S.-Egypt HEI LOTUS Scholarship Program seeks Egyptian applicants in their last year of public, experimental or Azhari high school who have outstanding credentials and high financial need.
The LOTUS Scholarship Program is funded by the U.S. Government through the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) with the support of the American people. Active from 2010-2014 this Program is managed by the Institute of International Education (IIE) in partnership with a consortium of Egyptian private universities and local organizations.
In 2014, the LOTUS Scholarship Program became part of the U.S.-Egypt Higher Education Initiative (HEI), a U.S. Government investment in Egypt’s future that provides educational opportunities for high-achieving Egyptians to learn skills that will better meet the needs of the 21st century economy.
- Full tuition and payment of all university fees for the duration of study (1 year English language and Academic Preparation Program and 4 years academic degree studies)
- Housing for the duration of study in secured, single-gender university housing buildings or apartment buildings that are rented and monitored by the universities
- Transportation on university buses to/from university and housing
- Books and lab fees for coursework for the duration of study
- Monthly living allowance during the period of study
- Annual clothing allowance
- First year settling-in allowance
- Laptop computer
- Academic and social mentoring and counseling to promote integration and success
- Participation in a Leadership in Action Program throughout the duration of study to nurture leadership skills and community responsibility and development
- Career counseling, labor market orientation and workplace activities in preparation for graduation and entering the labor market
- At least 28 will have the opportunity to spend a semester or a summer term at a university in the United States (preference will be given to high performing students who have not participated in educational and cultural exchanges outside of Egypt)
- Eligibility criteria for the U.S.-Egypt Higher Education Initiative LOTUS Scholarship Program include:
- Egyptian citizenship (Egyptian citizens who are also U.S. citizens or holders of a U.S. Green Card are not eligible. Egyptian citizens who have any other second nationality may apply.)
- Thanawya Amma Certificate with the following statuses as of July 15, 2014:
- Student in third year secondary at an Egyptian public school, experimental school or Azhari school.
- Minimum score of 85% on second year Thanaweya Amma exam, and minimum of 85% cumulative Thanaweya Amma score for both second and third years for old Thanaweya Amaa, and Minimum score of 85% on Third secondary year Thanaweya Amma exam for new Thanaweya Amma.
- Active involvement in school or university, or community activities including, but not limited to: student council, clubs, sports, community service, etc. Highly competitive applicants will be serving in leadership roles in these activities.
- Demonstrated high financial need.
Eligible students should complete an application form in Arabic according to the requirements and guidelines in the application packet.
- U.S.-Egypt HEI LOTUS Scholarship Program Application—Arabic
- U.S.-Egypt HEI LOTUS Scholarship Program Brochure—Arabic
Applications should be sent by registered mail or delivered by hand to the following address:
U.S.-Egypt HEI LOTUS Scholarship Program
Institute of International Education
45 Road 206
Behind Cairo American College, Degla, Maadi – Egypt
For more information, visit USAID LOTUS Scholarship Program 2014.