AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship for International Students (AU EGLS) 2015
Deadline: December 15, 2014
Applications are now open for the 2015 American University (AU) Emerging Global Leader Scholarship (EGLS). The program promotes educational access and opportunity while enhancing international diversity. The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will need a visa to study in the United States.
Bringing together the best of AU — academic excellence, leadership development, and global engagement — the AU Emerging Global Leader achieves, inspires, and serves with vision. The AU EGL is dedicated to positive civic and social change, and will return home to improve under-resourced, underserved communities in his/her home country.
The AU EGL scholarship covers all billable AU expenses (full tuition, room and board) for one international student who will need a visa (preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa) to study in the United States.
The scholarship does not cover non-billable expenses such as mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S. $4,000).
The AU EGL scholarship is renewable for a total of four years of undergraduate study, based on continued satisfactory academic performance.
- Applicants must be secondary school students.
- You cannot be currently enrolled in or have already begun any studies at another university.
- AU EGLS candidates should apply Regular Decision for fall (August) 2015.
- U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents or dual citizens of the U.S. and another country are not eligible to apply.
- Preference for the AU EGL scholarship will be given to international students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
The most competitive applicants should have:
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent (or in the top 10% of graduating class) for 9th-12th grades
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service and to advancing the needs of people in their home country
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a minimum 95 TOEFL iBT, 7.0 IELTS or 600 paper-based TOEFL
Important: Only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is available for fall 2015. If you are not selected as the 2015 AU EGL recipient and wish to continue the application process, you may be eligible for partial merit scholarships. However, you will need to submit proof of additional funds beyond the initial US$4,000 you provided. Estimated costs for the 2015-2016 academic year are US$59,780.
** Skype interviews will be required for AU EGL semi-finalists.
For the application process, full details will be available September 1, 2014.
For more information, visit AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship.