Deadline: August 31, 2014
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) seeks to recruit two trainees in the Women and War sector. The trainees will assist the Women and War Advisor and the Sexual Violence Advisor in ensuring that ICRC operational activities (at headquarters and in the field) adequately incorporate the different protection and assistance needs and capacities of women, men, girls and boys, and in supporting the ICRC’s operational response to sexual violence in armed conflict and other situations of violence.
The ICRC, established in 1863, works worldwide to provide humanitarian help for people affected by conflict and armed violence and to promote the laws that protect victims of war. An independent and neutral organization, its mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949.
Location: ICRC Headquarters, Geneva
Starting date: The first trainee will begin mid-November 2014 and second will begin mid-February.
Duration of each contract: one year
Salary: 3000 CHF gross per month
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Ensure the implementation and monitoring of the ICRC’s Women and War Strategy and the Special Appeal to strengthen the ICRC’s response to sexual violence at all levels of the organization including units and regions at headquarters as well as delegations in the field;
- Research, draft and edit briefing notes, speeches and statements, articles and institutional papers on issues related to gender analysis and sexual violence in armed conflicts for internal and external use;
- Review and monitor guidance documents, reports and other materials produced by other ICRC units or external stakeholders to ensure consistent messaging concerning gender, gender analysis, special protection of women and/or sexual violence;
- Assist in the organisation of external events on sexual violence and gender issues such as International Women’s Day;
- Represent Women and War at relevant internal and external meetings, draft agendas and minutes of meeting, and follow-up as necessary;
- Provide administrative and coordination support to the Women and War team.
Eligibility and Requirements
- A master’s degree in international relations or law, sociology, history, anthropology, gender studies or a related field;
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of issues relating to sexual violence, gender, and women;
- Work experience in a relevant field;
- Knowledge of areas related to protection and humanitarian assistance; and of the mandate and operation of the ICRC;
- Capacity for analysis and synthesis of complex ideas;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and strong capacity to work as part of a team
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Strong organisational and coordination skills;
- Demonstrated sense of initiative and capacity to work independently under minimal supervision;
- Native-level English speaker, with a good level of French, other languages an asset.
- One page cover letter including relevant experience and motivation for applying;
- CV, including the contact details of two referees, no longer than three pages;
- A writing sample, no longer than four pages.
- Please send these files together in one PDF file to [email protected] by 31 August 2014, 5pm Geneva time, with the subject line: LAST NAME, First Name + Women and War trainee. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For any questions regarding the position, please contact I. Jacobs on [email protected].
For more information, visit ICRC Trainee in the Women and War sector.
For more information, visit Trainees in the Women and War Sector Needed at ICRC.