Global Call for Organizing Committee for the UN DRR Children & Youth Blast!
Deadline: September 5, 2014
The UN Major Group for Children and Youth (MGCY) DRR Task Force has opened a Global Call for Applications for an Organizing Committee for a Children & Youth Blast! in Japan. They are looking for 25 young people of diverse backgrounds, to work together as a team with major youth constituencies, civil society partners and other stakeholders in organizing the Children & Youth Blast! This is an opportunity to participate in all processes leading up the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (3WCDRR) to be held in Sendai, Japan in March 2015.
Children and youth are partners for future change in disaster risk reduction. The Third UN World Conference on DRR (3WCDRR) is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for children and youth to influence decision makers, display their unique abilities, make commitments, co-educate and plan actions to reduce the risks our communities face to disasters.
About the Children & Youth Blast!
The Children & Youth Blast! at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (3WCDRR) represents all activities related to children and youth engagement in the lead-up to the conference in Sendai, Japan held during March 2015. This Organizing Committee is responsible for the program, thematic content and mobilising young people to the Children & Youth Blast!
There is no funding support to attend the Children & Youth Blast! in Japan. Please ensure you are wary of this limitation, should you wish to attend and make your own arrangements.
The Children & Youth Blast! will be led by children and youth and is developed for children and youth to mobilize and showcase their strengths, skills, and abilities to lead change in reducing risk and building resilience to disasters. The Children & Youth Blast! will be an inclusive platform providing a safe space for children and youth to:
- Share views, ideas and experiences, especially best practices, in reducing disaster risk and in building community resilience;
- Discuss their aspirations, expectations and needs, as well as, the contribution and added value they bring to disaster risk reduction decision-making;
- Capture innovative ideas and recommendations for disaster resilience and opportunities to pitch to the leaders of today and corporate partners for support and partnership-building;
- Collaborate on the development of basic guidelines and risk reduction indicators to better inform policy and monitor progress towards disaster resilience for all;
- Formulate children and youth commitments to a Post-2015 Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction to be presented at the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction.
- 20 young people from various regions up to 30 years of age
- 5 young people especially from Japan
**FINAL EXTENSION** Please submit all applications strictly by Friday, Sept 5 at midnight UTC time. No further extensions will be permitted.
For more information, visit Applications for DRR Children and Youth Blast Organizing Committee.