Deadline: December 1, 2014
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) invites eligible and passionate women worldwide to apply for the 2014 International Fellowship Grant Award and win the opportunity to study in a US university.
The International Fellowship program has been in existence since 1917. The program provides support for one year of graduate or postgraduate study in the United States to women who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
AAUW is one of the nation’s largest sources of private funding exclusively for educational programs that directly benefit women and girls. Every year AAUW awards fellowships and grants to more than 200 women. In principle and practice, AAUW values and seeks a diverse membership.
- Master’s/First Professional Degree: $18,000
- Doctoral: $20,000
- Postdoctoral: $30,000
To be eligible for an International Fellowship, applicants must meet the following criteria;
- Citizenship in a country other than the United States (dual citizenship is not allowed) or possession of a non-immigrant visa if residing in the U.S.
- Academic degree (earned in the U.S. or abroad) equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree completed by September 30, 2014.
- Intention to devote herself full-time to the proposed academic plan during the fellowship year.
- Intention to return to her home country to pursue a professional career.
- Master’s/First Professional Degree and Doctoral applicants must have applied by December 1, 2014, to an accredited institution of study for the period of the fellowship year and must indicate the name of the institution in the International Fellowship application.
- Master’s/First Professional Degree fellowships are intended for master’s or professional degree-level programs such as JD, MFA, LLM, M.Arch., or medical degrees such as MD, DDS., etc.
- Doctoral fellowships are intended for doctorate degrees, such as Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree; hold a doctorate classified as a research degree (e.g., Ph.D., Ed.D., DBA, MD) or an MFA by December 1, 2014; and indicate where they will conduct their research.
- Master’s/First Professional Degree and Doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution located in the U.S. during the fellowship year. A limited number of awards are available to IFUW members for study or research in any country other than their own. Note that foreign branches of U.S. institutions are considered outside of the U.S.
- Full year of study or research. International Fellowships do not provide funding for a partial year of study or research. Programs ending prior to April of the fellowship year are not eligible.
- Proficiency in English.
- Eligibility Quiz
- Start the application process by clicking on the Log In/Register link to access “My Portal” and take the eligibility quiz. After passing the eligibility quiz, the application will be available.
- Online Form
- TOEFL Information
- Degree/Study Plan
- Academic/Professional Background
- Financial Information
- Personal Statement
- Filing Fee – $30 (nonrefunable)
- Proof of bachelor’s degree
- proof of doctorate degree
- official report of TOEFL test scores or request for waiver
- letter of admission
- December 8, 2014, by 5:00 p.m., Central Time (Deadline for online submission of recommendations)
- April 15, 2015 (Notification of awards mailed to all applicants. Fellows and Grantees posted on AAUW’s website. AAUW is not able to honor requests for earlier notification).
- July 1, 2015—June 30, 2016 (Fellowship year)
For more information, visit International Fellowship Grant Award.