Deadline: November 15, 2014
Nominations are now open for the 2014 Aspen Institute New Voices Fellowship program. The Aspen Institute’s New Voices Fellowship is a year-long media skills, communication and leadership program designed for standout development professionals from the developing world. The Fellowship initiative, supported by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, offers development experts a year-long program of media support, training, research, and writing under the guidance of experienced mentors and trainers.
Candidates for the 12 Fellowships awarded each year must be experts in fields relating to global development, ranging from global health and food security to governance, education and social entrepreneurship. Candidates for the Fellowship are expected to have both a record of significant professional achievement and a desire to share their perspectives on global development with a broader international audience.
The Fellowship is open by nomination only. While the fellowship is non-resident and not full-time, it does require a significant and sustained time commitment as fellows write opinion articles, participate in interviews with local and international media, and speak at international conferences.
All expenses related to the fellowship are paid, including certain media-related travel costs.
- Applications are welcome from candidates from any developing country.
- People with big ideas, who have a proven track record of implementing them
- People with strong personal stories and the ability to think critically about development as it relates to their own experiences.
- Have strong potential in writing and public speaking
- Record of significant professional achievement
This fellowship is really for development experts, not journalists/PR professionals/communications experts.
- Ask someone to nominate you. This person could be a mentor, supervisor or professor. We ask that this person know you and your work well.
- We will review your nomination. If you pass through the first round, we’ll be in touch with you directly, asking you to submit an application. This application involves two essays and a series of questions.
- Once the New Voices team has reviewed applications, we will ask a small group of finalists to participate in an interview via Skype or phone. From this group, we will choose the final class of Fellows.
Application to the Fellowship is by nomination only. The incoming class will be announced in January 2015.
For more information and to nominate, visit Aspen Institute New Voices Fellowship.