Deadline: October 17, 2014
UNESCO is now applications from qualified candidates for the position of Senior Project Officer for Education for Persons with Disabilities. This is a 1 year contract with the possibility of extension depending on availability of funds and performance. The incumbent will be responsible for the management, administration and monitoring of the project “Promoting the right to quality inclusive education for persons with disabilities” and of the UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize to Promote Quality Education for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities.
The incumbent will, under the framework of these projects, also contribute to building a comprehensive programme in UNESCO to provide technical/expert advice on issues pertaining to the quality education for persons with disabilities, and coordinate partnerships at global level on inclusive education, including planning, implementation and monitoring of advocacy activities to raise awareness and visibility of the projects as well as of networks and partnerships on inclusive education.
Benefits and Entitlements
UNESCO’s salaries are calculated in US dollars and exempt from income tax. They consist of a basic salary and a post adjustment which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel, education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance.
Title: Senior Project Officer for Education for Persons with Disabilities
Organizational Unit: Education Sector, Division for Teaching, Learning and Content, Section of Learning and Teachers (ED/TLC/LTR)
Primary Location: Paris, France
Type of contract: Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year, possibility of extension depends on availability of funds and performance
Annual salary: Approximately 115 547 USD (without dependents)
Approximately 124 081 USD (with dependents)
Duties and requirements
Specifically, s/he will undertake the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Coordinate, manage, and ensure the effective implementation of the project activities, including the completion of the feasibility study and preparatory work for the establishment of the Category 2 Centre, with the ultimate aim of building a credible comprehensive programme on education for persons with disabilities.
- Provide technical assistance and policy advice on issues pertaining to education for persons with disabilities to Member States as required and relevant.
- Coordinate and manage the Prize, including timely communications with the International Jury Members, organization of the Jury meeting once a year and preparation of periodic reports on the project’s overall progress.
- Coordinate partnerships at global level on inclusive education with focus on disabilities, e.g. EFA flagship on the ‘Right to Education for Persons with Disabilities, International Network of Enabling Education (INEE), and the Global Partnership for Children with Disabilities (GPcwd), etc. by developing regular communications with concerned partners.
- Prepare, coordinate and manage the activities of the online Knowledge Community for the promotion of the right to education for persons with disabilities and in ensuring inter-sectoral cooperation and coordination on disabilities within UNESCO as relevant and required.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in education, related to special needs/inclusive education, or social sciences, human rights, or closely related field with emphasis on disability issues. Specialization in education and training for persons with disabilities will be an advantage.
- At least 7 years of relevant working experience in project management, monitoring, reporting and research in the related area of inclusive education, with strong emphasis on disability issues, acquired at national and/or international level.
- Proven experience in advocacy, communication, and online knowledge management in education.
- Strong experience in coordination, and dealing with internal and external partners and networks in inclusive education and disabilities.
- Development, implementation and evaluation of programs/projects related to education, including results- based planning and budgeting.
- Ability to work in a team and maintain effective working relationships with people of different nationalities and cultural backgrounds, and a multicultural environment and team cooperation
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor own work plan; ability to work under pressure, respecting tight deadlines and delivering on the standards required.
- Strong inter-personal and communications skills, both oral and written including good organizational and management skills.
- Commitment to the Organization’s mandate, vision and strategic direction, as well as to its priorities.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English and a working knowledge of French.
- Previous experience with UNESCO and understanding of the organization, including its administrative
- procedures and financial process.
- Specific professional and practical experiences in education and training for persons with disabilities.
- Previous experiences in other UN organizations in the field of disability issues.
- Previous experience in administering and managing international prizes in education and advocacy events.
Skills and Competencies
- Theoretical and technical knowledge on inclusion and disability issues in education and the right to education.
- Working knowledge of Arabic would be an asset.
How to Apply
Application to be sent to: [email protected] (CV with a covering letter making reference to post)
Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization
For more information, download the Call for Senior Project Officer at UNESCO.