FARA Agriculture Student Essay Competition – Win $1000 and a trip to South Africa
Deadline: October 30, 2014
Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA) invites entries for its Agriculture essay competition for students of agriculture programs in African tertiary institutions. Submit your essay for a chance to win $1,000 and be hosted in South Africa with a representative of your tertiary institution for the FARA Anniversary Celebration.
FARA is an apex organization bringing together and forming coalitions of major stakeholders in agricultural research and development in Africa. It is a strategic platform that fosters continental and global networking to reinforce the capacities of Africa’s agricultural science and innovation community from research, education/training, extension and civil society engaged in agriculture.
Established in 2001, the Forum encompasses all stakeholders, African and non-African, who are committed to enabling African agricultural development and the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), especially MDG1 (eradicate extreme poverty and hunger) and MDG7 (ensure environmental stability).
- Topic: The Role of Agricultural Innovation in Creating Food Security in Africa
- Format: 500-word count
Prizes are to be awarded to the winning student and their educational institution – $1,000 to the student and an award for the school. Both the student and a representative of the school will be flown to South Africa for FARA’s celebratory event in November where the award will be presented.
Eligibility and Requirements
- Entrants must be full-time students in an African tertiary institution including Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education. This competition is not open to students of African origin studying outside the African continent.
- Entrants must be 15-30 years old
- To qualify, entrants are required to register via FARA’s Facebook page, http:/bit.ly/faraessay, that is on this page.
- For updates on the competition, entrants are advised to follow the hashtag #FARAEssay on Facebook and Twitter.
Judges will be selected by FARA. Essays will be shortlisted by public voting on Facebook and the final selection will be by FARA judges.
How to Enter
Submit essay here.
Be sure to vote for your own essay and share the URL with friends on your social networks to get their votes. You can vote more than once. Ten essays with the most votes will be shortlisted while the final selection will be made by FARA’s panel of experts.