Deadline: November 24, 2014
World Nomads invites application for the 2014 Travel Photography Scholarship competition. This is an opportunity for one aspiring photographer to accompany renowned wildlife and natural history photographer, Jason Edwards, on assignment in the Peruvian Amazon.
The winner will begin his photographic journey in the ancient capital of the Inca Empire – Cusco – where he will explore the rich history and culture of the Andean Mountain landscapes with Explorandes. From there they will travel into the heart of the Amazon basin to Madre de Dios, where they will explore one of the planet’s top biodiversity hotspots.
During your Rainforest Expeditions trip, he will find out firsthand what life is like in the field for a travel photographer while capturing the rainforest wildlife and the conservation projects that World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) Peru supports to protect the biodiverse ecosystems and the livelihoods of the indigenous communities who call the Amazon forest home.
- A 12-day bespoke trip to the Amazon with WWF Peru, Rainforest Expeditions and Explorandes.
- Round-trip airfare from your country of residence to Cusco, Peru where you will meet your mentor and a small film crew and then head off to Madre de Dios to begin your assignment.
- A 12-day professional mentorship from Jason Edwards.
- Travel insurance for the duration of the trip from World Nomads.
The 4 runners’ up will receive:
- A FREE 45-min portfolio review from Jason Edwards (valued at $800 AUD)
The 25 shortlisted photographers will receive:
- The option of a 45-min paid portfolio review with Jason Edwards (special rate of $400 AUD)
This opportunity is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- Any non-professional can apply – this is open photography students or keen amateurs/pro-amateurs looking build a career in travel photography.
- You may be a resident of any country (subject to obtaining a Peruvian visa).
- Minimum age 18 by the application deadline (November 24, 2014) with a current valid passport.
- You must be available as per the dates set out. Please note these dates are not changeable in any way.
- You must be fit and healthy as moderate levels of physical work are involved as well as a number of late nights!
- You should be an exceptional photographer with a lust for adventure, have a strong desire to be mentored and grow your photographic knowledge and skills, an ambition to forge a career in travel photography.
- Login or Register here.
- Follow these steps to enter the competition:
- Shoot your photo story: a maximum of 5 images that must tell a story about a place you have visited. ‘Place’ may be anywhere; somewhere in your own community or much further away. Each of the 5 shots must have accompanying caption text (1-2 sentences) to help contextualise the shot.
- Upload your photos on the page that you are directed to after filling your application details.
- Only one entry per person is allowed.