BBC World News Komla Dumor Award for African Journalists (Fully-Funded)
Deadline: February 2, 2015
BBC recently launched an award for reporters in honor of its exceptionally brilliant broadcaster-Late Komla Dumor. The BBC World News Komla Dumor Award will be made to an outstanding individual living and working in Africa, who combines strong journalism skills, on air flair, and an exceptional talent in telling African stories with the ambition and potential to become a star of the future.
The winner will receive:
- A once-in-a-lifetime training and development opportunity with the BBC in London, starting in early September 2015 and running for three months,
- Flight to and from London as well as accommodation cost will be covered by the BBC,
- £2,000 per month for the three month placement to cover their living expenses and a one-off payment of £5,000 as a contribution towards loss of salary in their home country,
Also, the winner will:
- produce an African story for the BBC and have their story and their voice shared across the continent and the world.
- be supported by a high-level BBC mentor and attend courses run by the BBC’s world-class training department, the BBC Academy.
Interested applicants must meet the following requirements;
- currently living and working as a journalist in Africa,
- 3 to 10 years’ experience as a professional journalist in Africa,
- current or former member of BBC staff are not eligible,
- must hold or be able to obtain by 1st March 2015 a passport that is valid until at least 31st January 2016,
- Fluency in English as a first or equivalent language,
if you do not meet these requirements please visit BBC Academy for practical advice on how to improve your journalism skills.
- Excellent journalism skills, including in digital and social media.
- Broadcasting experience is preferable.
- An excellent broadcasting voice and strong presenting skills with the ability to perform at the microphone with flair.
- The ability to identify and pitch a strong original African story idea, aligned to the BBC editorial guidelines .
- Wide and up-to-date knowledge and understanding of the African continent, including politics, business, culture, history and sport.
- Create a profile with career hub
- Submit a CV (maximum two pages)
- Click “Apply Now” at the bottom right page & complete the BBC Komla Award
About Komla Dumor
Komla Afeke Dumor (3 October 1972 – 18 January 2014) was a Ghanaian journalist who worked for BBC World News and was the main presenter of its programme Focus on Africa. See brief biography
Also, listen to Komla Dumor’s Ted Talk “Telling the African Story“.