Deadline: March 22, 2015
The Transdisciplinary Training for Resource Efficiency and Climate Change Adaptation in Africa (TRECCAfrica) Scholarships is now open. With the support of the Intra-ACP Mobility Scheme, TRECCAfrica provides doctoral and master’s training to 80 postgraduate students in Africa at six leading African Universities. This in turn enables the next generation of academics and professionals to address an interlocking set of real challenges for Africa’s future development: climate change and resource depletion.
TRECCAfrica is a consortium of seven research-intensive higher education institutions in Africa, as well as two Associated Partners.
- University of Botswana
- University of Ghana
- University of Nairobi (Kenya)
- Mekelle University (Ethiopia)
- University of Nigeria Nsukka (Nigeria)
- University of Dar es Salaam (Tanzania)
- Stellenbosch University (South Africa)
The TRECCAfrica individual scholarships will cover:
- One roundtrip flight ticket and visa costs for all scholarship holders
- A monthly subsistence allowance payable on a regular basis during the mobility period
- Masters – 600
- Doctorates – 900
- Staff – 1000
- Acommodation expenses to be covered by the scholarship recipient and can be done from the monthly subsistence allowance.
- Participation Costs which may include tuition fees, registration fees and service fees
- Comprehensive Insurance Coverage ( Health, Accident and Travel)
To be eligible for the Scholarship, masters and doctoral students must:
- Must be a national and/ or resident of any of the eligible countries
- Target group 1 students must be registered or admitted to one of the Higher Education Institutions (HEI) comprising the consortium at the time of application for the scholarship. Eligible students must therefore be registered/ admitted at the University of Ghana, Mekelle University, the University of Dar es Salaam, the University of Nairobi, Stellenbosch University and the University of Nigeria (Nsukka).
- Target group 2 students must be registered or admitted at a Higher Education Institution in one of the eligible countries identified in the Intra-ACP call.
- Students are also required to have sufficient knowledge of the language in which courses are offered at the host HEI.
For staff to be eligible for TRECCAfrica scholarships, they need to comply with the following criteria:
- Be a national or resident of the countries covered by the scholarship
- Work at or be associated with a Higher Education Institution
- The assignment of mobility of a staff member must be based on the agreement between partner institutions.
- There must be an agreement between the home and host HEI regarding the modules to be taught by the visiting lecturer, the type of research to be conducted, the type of training to be followed or the administrative tasks to be undertaken.
- Staff mobility may take the form of a direct post-to-post exchange or a one way flow of mobility to or from an eligible country.
Applications can be submitted for either the pursuit of a full-degree or a short exchange – at both Masters and Doctoral levels. The scholarship covers the entire study period for which candidates have applied.