Apply for the JAUW Fellowship – Grant Range from ¥700,000 to ¥1,000,000!
Deadline: March 31, 2015
Applications are invited for the International Fellowships by the Japanese Association of University Women (JAUW). This program is to offer core funding to financially help women come and stay in Japan when they have found that it is preferable or very important for them to stay to further pursue an ongoing study/research. The grant is for 5 to 6 months between September 2015 and March 2016, depending on the submitted proposal.
If selected, candidate must:
- engage in the proposed study/research for which the grant is awarded;
- submit a written summary report of 500 to 700 words by the end of the funding period;
- make an oral presentation based on the above report toward the end of the funding period at a meeting to be held by JAUW.
- The amount of grant will range from ¥700,000 to ¥1,000,000 per grantee. The duration of your stay in Japan and various other factors will be taken into consideration in deciding the total amount of grant.
- One third of the total amount will be paid at the time of your arrival in Japan. The rest will normally be paid within 40 days after the initial payment. However, the latter amount (i.e. two thirds of the total) may be payable in two or three installments, depending on circumstances surrounding the grantee in Japan.
- be a woman of any nationality but other than Japanese, living outside Japan at the time of application.
- have received a Master’s degree or its equivalent, and presently work outside academia, or be a student or researcher higher than MA or its equivalent level (typically of pre-doctoral or dissertation level). Postdoctoral researchers may apply but they may be placed lower in priority.
- have to find a host university or institution in Japan, and have to submit, at the time of application, a letter of Acceptance from that host or from prospective supervisor thereof. JAUW will not extend any help regarding to this matter.
- have to explain in their proposal why they have to come to stay in Japan to pursue their ongoing study or research.
- have to state clearly in their proposal how and in what aspect they will contribute to their home country through their study or research in Japan.
To apply, use the designated forms and submit the following:
- 3 copies of Application Form Part 1 (Personal Data).
- 3 copies of Application Form Part 2 (Proposal & Related Data).
- 3 letters of Recommendation. Each letter should be signed by the writer and enclosed in a sealed and signed envelope. (see No.6 of Application Form Part 1).
- A letter of acceptance/confirmation/ invitation written by your host supervisor or partner depending upon your status in the proposed place of your study/research in Japan. Be sure to ask your supervisor to use this form when writing a Letter of Acceptance. Other forms shall not be accepted.
- A medical certificate of health issued by a qualified medical doctor stating in English that you are healthy enough to conduct your study in Japan for the proposed period.
- A 3.5 cm X 4.5 cm photo of yourself.
NOTE: All Application documents must be sent in one single packet via airmail to:
International Fellowship Committee
Japanese Association of University Women
11-6-101 Samoncho, Shinjuku-ku,
For more information, visit JAUW.