Deadline: August 15, 2015
The EcoChic Design Award 2015/16 is now open for emerging fashion designers and fashion design students living in any country in Asia or Europe. The EcoChic Design Award is the world’s largest sustainable fashion design competition challenging emerging fashion designers to create mainstream clothing with minimal textile waste. The 2015/16 cycle celebrates the competition’s fifth year anniversary.
Each competition cycle takes designers on an education and design journey lasting several theory and design-packed months. Firstly, designers will be educated about the fashion industry’s negative environmental impacts and the sustainable fashion design techniques, zero-waste, up-cycling and reconstruction that can combat this. Secondly, it will be provide tools, lectures, videos, articles and recommended links, in order to develop their understanding of sustainable fashion design.
A total of ten finalists from across the regions will be selected to come to Hong Kong in January 2016 to showcase their minimal waste collections at HKTDC Hong Kong Fashion Week where career-changing prizes will be awarded.
- 1st prize: The Ecochic Design Award 2015/16 with Shanghai Tang.
- You will design your own capsule collection using up-cycled textiles for Shanghai Tang, China’s leading luxury brand that prides itself as the curator of modern Chinese chic. Following your competition victory, you will return to Hong Kong for up to three months during which your design vision and cultural experiences will be expanded, along with your fame.
- 2nd prize: The Ecochic Design Award 2015/16 Mentorship with Orsola De Castro.
- This winner will receive a six month tailored mentorship with distinguished sustainable fashion designer, Orsola de Castro. This mentorship opportunity will give you expert and targeted support that will propel your career in sustainable fashion design forwards and prepare you, your visions and your collections for the competitive market of attracting fashion buyers and media – and ultimately securing success.
- Special prize: To design a superstar sustainable outfit for an Asian celebrity.
- Winner of the special prize will need to convince leading Asian female celebrity that his or her designs have a certain superstar appeal that boasts as much style as sustainability. If celebrity votes you as her winner, you will be rewarded with the chance of creating a signature sustainable piece for her to wear in a high profile fashion shoot or at her public appearance.
- There are also prizes for all finalist and semifinalist.
See all about prizes here.
Eligible candidate should
- Be up to 18 years old or over as of August 15, 2015;
- Live with a valid ID/passport/visa/resident permit in any Asian or European country at the time of the application;
- Be a fashion designer with less than three years’ professional fashion design experience or a fashion design student studying in any year at an educational institute in any Asian or European country at the time of the application ;
- Be an individual (group applications are not permitted).
For more information, visit Ecochic Design Award.