United Nations – Nippon Foundation of Japan Fellowship Programme 2016
Deadline: September 11, 2015
Applications are now being accepted for the 2016 United Nations – Nippon Foundation of Japan Fellowship Programme for Human Resources Development and Advancement of the Legal Order of the World’s Oceans. The objective of the fellowship is to provide opportunities for advanced education and research in the field of ocean affairs and the law of the sea, and related disciplines including marine science in support of management frameworks, to Government officials and other mid-level professionals from developing States.
Upon completion of the fellowship, fellows should have an advanced awareness and understanding of key issues and best international practices in ocean affairs and are expected to return to their home-countries to contribute their experience to assist with the effective implementation of UNCLOS and related instruments and programmes.
Fellows should be able to design, implement and/or evaluate specific improvement projects in their home countries related to ocean affairs, develop a core leadership capacity and have an in-depth understanding of legal frameworks, methodologies and tools to further improve implementation of instruments and programmes and to provide for their effective enforcement in conformity with international law.
- Be nominated by their Government, employer or competent organization
- Be between the ages of 25 and 40
- Possess a first degree in a related discipline, and have a demonstrated ability to undertake independent advanced research and studies in an academic context
- Be mid-level professionals who can demonstrate that they can work directly on ocean issues
- Be in a position to accept placement with host institutions for a period of no less than nine consecutive months
- Be in a good state of health so as to be cleared by the UN Medical Service
- Be in a position to obtain all relevant visas including transit visas.
The programme is conducted in English and can accommodate Francophone fellows.
Successful candidates will be provided with the opportunity to develop a research/study theme, in the context of specific and clearly defined needs at national and regional levels.
For more information, visit United Nations – Nippon Foundation of Japan Fellowship.