Deadline: August 14, 2015
Agahozo-Shalom is a place where traumatized teens “dry their tears” (Agahozo) and “live in peace” (Shalom). They
gain skills necessary to become leaders, continue rebuilding Rwanda, and make the world a better place. The Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village (ASYV) is a residential community for teenage orphans in Rwanda and is home to over 500 teenagers and 100 staff. The Village is designed to care for, protect, and nurture Rwanda’s most vulnerable teens. In addition to an exemplary secondary education, ASYV offers enrichment programs in sports, arts, and culture and provides a healthy environment that helps the teenagers grow both emotionally and intellectually.
The Village Fellows program of the Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village (ASYV) places 8-10 international Fellows in Rwanda. Fellows spend 12 months living and working in the Village; they are placed into professional roles and work together with Rwandan staff to support existing programs and help develop new systems and programs. They become an integral part of the staff team that enables the Village to fulfill its goal of providing a nurturing home and exemplary formal and informal education to kids. In addition to their professional role, each Fellow joins a family and serves as a mentor to 16 teenage students who are in their first year of living in the Village.
Positions are available in the following areas. Applicants are matched with open positions based on interest, skills, and experience.
- Visitors & Hospitality;
- Communications, Journalism & Mass Media;
- English Language Enrichment;
- Information & Communications Technology (ICT);
- Advocacy & Partnership;
- Career Development;
- Art & Graphic Design;
- Informal Education Programming;
- Music & Recording Technology;
- Photography & Videography.
Village Fellows are provded the following:
- Room and board;
- A monthly stipend;
- Comprehensive medical and evacuation insurance;
- Rwandan Visa and round-trip airfare to Rwanda.
- Fellows are responsible for all other costs not listed above (ie. passport, immunizations, etc.).
Candidates applying should
- Have university degree or of equivalent age;
- Have minimum of 1 year full-time professional work experience, preferably 2+ years, in related field;
- Be fluent and proficient in spoken English;
- Possess excellent communication and organizational skills;
- Have ability to balance various jobs and tasks;
- Have ability to work independently with minimal supervision or guidance;
- Have interest in working for a development project and collaborating with local and international staff;
- Have ability to adapt to different cultures and work styles;
- Possess strong sense of responsibility and integrity;
- Show flexibility, patience, resilience, determination, strong leadership;
- Show ideological affinity with the goals and philosophy of the Agahozo- Shalom Youth Village;
- Show willingness to devote 12-months to living and working in the Village, understanding that work days include evenings and weekends.
The application consists of 3 parts, all of which must be completed online:
Eligible candidates go through a comprehensive screening and interview process.